Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

97 Blazer - no sound from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
chadd77 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer - no sound from speakers

I bought a 1997 Blazer back in July. When I bought it the previous owner told me there was a problem with the stereo/radio. It would turn on but there was no sound. Over the weekend I went out and purchased another stereo and install kit. Well… same thing. It turns on but no sound from any of the speakers. No fuses are blown. Not sure what else to look for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The factory speakers are probably junked. When I bought my '01 Jimmy both rear 6x9's were locked up and there were no signs anyone had installed an aftermarket HU or anything else previously so it looked to me like they just crapped out. Another guy I hang around with has a 2-door of the same truck you do and the drivers rear speaker and the passenger front door and dash speakers don't work in it either. He said they just stopped working a few years ago and hasn't been worried with it enough to replace any of them.

I would imagine the chances are high that you are going to need new speakers. I wouldn't worry about replacing the rears, unless you just really feel like spending money on them, and get a decent set of 6.5" components for the front. There's Phoenix Gold RSD's still available, Crescendo Audio makes some nice ones, and even the Powerbass 6C's are decent and all can be had for $100 and less. Get a decent little 2 channel amp later on to drive them with and a little sound deadening on the doors and you'll be amazed at the sound you can get from a simple set of components. If you're not looking to spend that much money and aren't that worried about the sound then any 'ol set of coax's will do you fine. For a 2-door theres 6.5" in the front and 6x9's in the rear, if it's a 4-door then the front is the same but the back door's have 5.25"

Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Just an idea. Have you checked to make sure the speakers are hooked up in the doors? Perhaps whoever owned the truck before the person you bought it from had an aftermarket stereo and speakers, just to plug the holes, he just tossed the speakers back in the stock locations and didn't hook them up?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM

I was able to test the wire from the stereo to the front door speaker. There doesn't appear to be a break in the wire. So my question now is… you think there could be a wire touching the metal of the vehicle? Would that cause no sound from all the speakers? I just have a hard time believing all 6 speakers are blown. Driving with no music sucks!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
helo is on a distinguished road

Your speakers are toast. 3 of 4 speakers had no output when I got my 97 blazer this spring (no speakers in the dash, just holes for speakers!) and the driver's door was almost done (sounded like garbage). The wires were fine, factory stereo tested ok on every channel (I replaced it with a headunit that had front USB). I used the existing speaker wires for new door speakers.

Get yourself some high-efficiency 6.5" speakers to go in the doors if you aren't going to use an amp.

Or, get an amp and some decent component speakers for the front.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:50 PM

But if the speakers were blown wouldn't you get some noise (static) coming from them?