Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp Wiring Preferences

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

does no one use welding cable? probably more flexible than anything on the market, plus you can get like 2/0 and so forth......im gonna check it out for my next build

Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

good luck with that one...

Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Will, do as you've been told. do it once and forget about it. on a side note...

Does no one use Stinger? i have their 0 gauge kit and love it. its flexible and is great. I've use Knu before and i still have some of their 4 gauge. my stinger zero is just as flexible as Knu's 4 gauge.

I have also used JL's 4 gauge. i'm actually currently using it for power from my distro block to my 2 amps. i like it, i just don't like the price.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MTopper

Does no one use Stinger? i have their 0 gauge kit and love it. its flexible and is great. I've use Knu before and i still have some of their 4 gauge. my stinger zero is just as flexible as Knu's 4 gauge.

I have also used JL's 4 gauge. i'm actually currently using it for power from my distro block to my 2 amps. i like it, i just don't like the price.
I am looking at their 4 gauge kit... Because in the long run I might not need it.... (the 0 gauge)... But IDK im still looking at headunits too

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran

will, if you're looking for a smaller system of just some speakers and a small sub. go for the 4 gauge. if you're thinking of doing the 12 and 2 8s, you'll need a good mono block and that will require at least 4 gauge. which means more wiring for your speaker amp and then for the 8s amp..

i am a fan of doing it right the first time because i don't have a ton of spendable income like i did in high school.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wlorton
Which kit from KnuKonceptz do you use? I was looking at some of their kits and one was the 1/0 gauge and it stated it uses Copper Clad Aluminum rather than Oxygen Free Copper.... They claim they oversize to offset this, but I am curious to if I just missed a kit that was OFC...
Here's the links to the Kolossus Fleks 0 & 4 gauge wiring kits on their site. I've used every kit they have(& had) at least once. Liked them all. Unless you're planning on running some crazy power you shouldn't have any problems using the CCA wire and saving a few bucks as well.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KFX-PK0
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KFX-AK4

Originally Posted by blazinloud
does no one use welding cable? probably more flexible than anything on the market, plus you can get like 2/0 and so forth......im gonna check it out for my next build
Check this place out. The Radaflex welding cable is some very good stuff from what I've seen in a few other guys' vehicles and they have some pretty good prices on wire.
http://www.cableyard.com/

Originally Posted by MTopper

Stinger still makes decent wire although I'd throw Knu up against it any day for price per strand count and quality any time. Knu's 0 guage is flexible enough to wrap tightly around a pen without a ton of effort. I'll look through my camera, I have a picture of it somewhere, more than flexible enough. IMHO Knu is a little better wire and a little less expensive.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran

Alton, i have bent the stinger 0 around my wrist and am happy with it. i had a discount on it so i got the kit for about $100 with shipping. i have had knu before and after it was installed for 2 years it was way too stiff. idk why but it was. this was a couple years ago though so who knows whats been done since then.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I understand and I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes, just pointing out that the Knu is extremely flexible for the size. The first run of 1/0 in my van is Stinger and I've never had any issues with it as well, very good wire. I just put the second run of 1/0, being Knu wire, in this spring so whether it's going to stiffen up on me is yet to be determined but is the basis on my opinion of the Knu being better than the Stinger since it is less expensive and seemed just a little larger than the stinger already in place.

I was turned onto Knu a little over a year ago when I started the rebuild for the van. Since then I've ordered about every kit and version of wire they offer for builds I've done for other people. One of the first vehicles I used it in is still flexible, it's the CCA 0 guage though so I dunno.

At any rate, time will tell for sure what the wire does and if it does get stiff after a few years then I'll probably stop using it since that's a very undesirable property of any wire and I appreciate you sharing that fact with us.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran

i hear ya. sorry if i came off wrong. i was posting off my phone lol. knu is a good company, stinger and everything else in out there. its just up to Will to get off his A** and do something haha