Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Best Speakers on a Budget?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Haha! Well, got it all finished up this last weekend. The four RSE-165 Focals had to be spacered out 1/2" with a plastic ring to clear the magnets on all doors and then the screw holes redrilled in the speaker mounting surfaces. Had to cut out the speaker grilles in the front doors and let the speakers poke through with the Focal grilles in place. Rear doors only required trimming the internal speaker ring on the inside of the door panel flush. Mounted front tweeters in stock location under grilles in the dash. Mounted rear tweeters on inside of post between front and rear doors. Bazooka sub in the back, with the amp's sub-level control mounted inside the cassette cubby inside the front console. Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5640D Amp in place of the old analog OnStar equipment mounted on old bracket. Running off of the same Kenwood do-everything / play everything KDC-X898 head unit I had before. Never ran so many wires in my life - soldered everything. System really cranks and I think sounds great. Wife says she had no idea it would sound so good....... says it's like having new music to listen to.
Recently installed a Kenwood KMM-X503 head unit. Was shooting for the same as the old KDC-X898 - do everything, but without the CD player plus be able to play FLAC files.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kmm-x503/

I have very good things to say about this model, and it has a feature I found particularly impressive in that it apparently adjusts output tailored for particular speaker systems. It actually asked for my speaker, tweeter, and subwoofer sizes when I selected component speakers! Other things too IIRC. I think it asked about speaker positioning. And it's dirt cheap! In any case sounds even better than my old head unit.

I did have a chance to directly compare WAV to FLAC to -V 2 encoded MP3 using the same exact music (Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms - original mastering - my reference music because of the extremely high dynamic range of the recording) where the FLAC and MP3 was converted from the WAV. I found myself readjusting the sub slightly when listening to the MP3 at higher volumes - surprisingly to me both the WAV and the FLAC needed a bit more sub than the MP3, but was crisper in general. Maybe it's a difference in the DAC or something else inherent to the deck? In any case, I'm pleased that the system is good enough to hear the difference.

Only downside is the documentation on setup and operation sucks and does not begin to include everything. I'm still finding out stuff. Early on I had to call Kenwood to figure out how to get it out of the Spanish mode I had accidentally placed it in. Couldn't read much of the menus, to even poke around and look for a solution! IMHO sometimes the Spanish language accommodation gets ridiculous.

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-27-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:31 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I hid a little 300 watt amp to push a 10" in that cubby hole like that for a little while in my 04, and if I pushed it too hard for too long the amp would overheat and go into protect... Pop the lid off that storage box though and it would cool off in no time and be fine to play non-stop.

Just something to keep in mind if it starts giving you issues. With the lid on it's just stagnant air in that compartment, no ventilation at all, so it doesn't take long for an amp to heat up in there.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I hid a little 300 watt amp to push a 10" in that cubby hole like that for a little while in my 04, and if I pushed it too hard for too long the amp would overheat and go into protect... Pop the lid off that storage box though and it would cool off in no time and be fine to play non-stop.

Just something to keep in mind if it starts giving you issues. With the lid on it's just stagnant air in that compartment, no ventilation at all, so it doesn't take long for an amp to heat up in there.
Yeah, I know...... I ran around with the cover off the top of the cubby for a week or two during the late Summer until I was sure it wasn't going to overheat. Mine is a class D amp (first time I have had one). They are supposed to be more efficient and run cooler. Seems to be true. I crank it pretty good, but only for a half hour or so at a time. Maybe I'll stick my thermistor for my temp gauge in there and take a reading after playing the system for a while. Ambient temps are still supposed to be in the 80's later this week.