Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Both rear speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Both rear speakers not working

Hey everyone. Well I am at a loss here. I have a stock speaker setup with a Sony MP3 CD Headunit from 2008. I used a set of connectors from when Circuit City was still open (one from Sony to universal and one universal to GM) to connect it. Tonight I noticed that both of my rear speakers in the door were not working. I checked the wiring harness and even replaced it with another one, but with the center connector replaced with individual crimp connectors. All the wires look fine behind the dash. I set the fade to full rear and the car is silent. Only the front speakers (door and dash) work. What would cause the loss of both rear door speakers? They were working fine a few days ago last time I had the radio on and had to open the rear door to get something. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Just an update: I bought another headunit off Craigslist since I suspected the Sony unit was bad judging by some posts online. A nice Pioneer one for pretty cheap. Has a USB port and AUX port in the back, but not a problem for me since I ran a wire down through the ashtray for my MP3 player. A huge upgrade from mine. Even dims with the headlight switch. Guy had it in a Dodge sedan and the tranny blew, so he junked the car and sold the radio and other gear from it. While I was very impressed with the deal and the radio, it didn't fix the problem. No rear speakers. I rechecked the pins on the radios and the harness and they were fine. I bought a new GM connector to use with the radio harness and crimped it myself. I checked the wiring behind the dash and nothing was wrong. The front speakers work fine, but when I use the fader to put the sound to the rear the speakers don't work. What would disable both rear speakers?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-03-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Just an update: I bought another headunit off Craigslist since I suspected the Sony unit was bad judging by some posts online. A nice Pioneer one for pretty cheap. Has a USB port and AUX port in the back, but not a problem for me since I ran a wire down through the ashtray for my MP3 player. A huge upgrade from mine. Even dims with the headlight switch. Guy had it in a Dodge sedan and the tranny blew, so he junked the car and sold the radio and other gear from it. While I was very impressed with the deal and the radio, it didn't fix the problem. No rear speakers. I rechecked the pins on the radios and the harness and they were fine. I bought a new GM connector to use with the radio harness and crimped it myself. I checked the wiring behind the dash and nothing was wrong. The front speakers work fine, but when I use the fader to put the sound to the rear the speakers don't work. What would disable both rear speakers?

are they factory speakers? if so more then likely blown, very common

Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by coolasice
are they factory speakers? if so more then likely blown, very common
You are right. I originally thought no way since I don't abuse it and the system is stock other than the radio, but sure enough they were blown. Since the Craigslist unit didn't solve it, I bought 2 generic factory replacement 5.25" speakers from Pep Boys and put those in in their parking lot. I turned the fade to full rear and they worked great. Thanks for the tip. What were the chances of both rear speakers blowing at once?

Also I think one of my dash speakers isn't working. Small round ones about the size of a silver dollar. One side has vibration when I turn up the volume, the other doesn't. How do I replace those and what do I use?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-03-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

cant help you there... i dont have dash speakers....

Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road

My rear ones are blown too, anyone know why this is? Just want to know because if it is the wiring then I want to rewire while I replace them

Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Blazer
My rear ones are blown too, anyone know why this is? Just want to know because if it is the wiring then I want to rewire while I replace them
The speakers are just plain junk. Plus the factory radio probably puts out less wattage than even the cheapest aftermarket radios. These lasted 14 years and they are American made (I think), so that is surprising. I pump some bass (not high volume) through these speakers since I listen to techno, so I could understand it. Even the cheap replacement ones seemed to be much higher quality than the factory speakers. The replacement ones were $14 each and were slightly smaller in diameter, but I made them fit without drilling new holes and they work better than my front speakers. The factory speakers are basically paper and cardboard. I even cut one of them apart and it seemed so cheaply made that if I didn't see the words "Delco Electronics", I would probably think they were out of an import or a car from China.