Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

can I amp my 6x5's

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default can I amp my 6x5's

I replaced all of the 6x5's in all 4 doors with pioneer 240 watt 6x5's. I also have a pioneer head unit also, if it helps. My question is can I amp all 4 6x5's to make them sound better. They get good bass with hard rock I listen to the most. The quality of the bass goes down as I go to techno. Not much, but less. Now rap is a different story. The bass sucks on rap. Can I amp with a pioneer 4-channel amp, and if I can, which one is recommended for this. Also, where would be a good place to mount the amp. On the flaps behind the back seats, because I'm going to do a 3-10' sub box right there. Can I mount them on the covers of the compartments in the back. I have my 6-disc changer in the right one. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:21 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: can I amp my 6x5's

Find an amp that has the closest RMS wattage, to the RMS wattage of your speakers, for best SQ (I think so, anyway)
And pretty much any place that has room will work for the amp... The most annoying part is going to be running the wires...

Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, get a 4 channel amp.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

6x5's? you mean 6.5" right........yes you can amp em, but dont expect too much bass......thats what subs are for.

I'd suggest a cheap alpine amp.....pioneer dosent make the best amps.......a 4 channel alpine can be yours for $140.

you claim there 240 watt max? which means 120 rms which seems purdy high for coax. I think between 50-75rms per channel will be fine.

Lots of ppl put their amps on the back of the seat......I have mine bolted to the back of the box......saves damaging the truck......

Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

6x5's? you mean 6.5" right.
That's what I meant. Forgot to press the shift button. I recently bought a new Logitech wireless keyboard for my computer. It's very different from my last keyboard, and sometimes I miss a letter or pree the wrong one.

Lots of ppl put their amps on the back of the seat......I have mine bolted to the back of the box......saves damaging the truck......
I was thinking of that. That wouldn'ty overheat the amps when the box is pushed up against them? I am going to do a pioneer system in the back with 3 10 inch subs. I was thinking of bolting the amps to the top of the box, but would like to put them on the backs of the flaps behind the back seat for a clean look. That is safe to do without any problems?

yes you can amp em, but dont expect too much bass
I don't expect a huge jump, just a little bit cleaner sounding bass. I was hoping maybe bumping up the power of the speakers, so I can bump up the bass on the ehad unit a little bit.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

O.k....um....I have mine pushed right up to the seat and i have never had a problem.....I wouldnt want to put them on top of the box....just more out in the open for theives to see.

sure ya you can put the amps their if you want, no probs.

and once you get even 50 real watts on them 6.5"s you wont need to turn up the bass boost.....