Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB antenna.. this or that?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default CB antenna.. this or that?

Ok, so I started a thread previously with Radio suggestions and I believe I know which one I will be ordering tomorrow after work when I get paid ,

But I was looking into antennas and got semi confused....

I love this

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...841&viewfull=1

It is also posted somewhere on here but is locked. Is the antenna on that blazer really 102 inches?

I was looking and found two mounts one had a screw on coax and the other had a different connector, which obviously will affect which type of cable to order.

The mount part numbers are SS204 and SS204a, which one would be better? The flat connector one was used up there ^ in the link, but they also recommend keeping the antenna around 4 feet, and I would mount it just about the tail light...

Would 4 feet be tall enough? They also offer sizes up to 7 feet, as I was looking at the firestik antennas to use with it...

But the flat connector is MU9R18 which is a dual antenna cable in case one would run duals, but thats to get an idea of what it looks like...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

But I am set on mounting it there, just how big of an antenna, what kind, and coax connectors..

THanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

Also from the other thread I decided to go with the Cobra 18 and for the antenna I got the Wilson 1000. The antenna is 62" tall and I was going to mount it to one of the tabs on the roof light-bar that hold the lights. Nice thing about that antenna is that the antenna and loaded part come off for when you aren't actually using it and it even has a weather cover for the connector. Just a flat mounting plate with the antenna up top.

In same boat as you, kinda new to CBs, but from friends that have owned them and reading about it, the more of the antenna that extends past the body of the vehicle the better off you are for signal. Unless you put two of them on, which would cover signal past the blockage of the vehicle, but it seems our trucks may not be wide enough to get the seperation you would need on the antennee for proper or maximum performance?

Also after looking around there are tons of different mounts and many different ways of mounting the antenna, if that location doesn't work for you.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I just dont know how tall the antenna should be as I would love to keep that the mounting point.... The guy who has that has a post on here, but its Threadlocked...

IDeas?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

mount it on your mirror! then you don't have to run 20 feet of wire. that 102" makes me giggle. I almost forgot about fullsizechevy.com. I had... a 4 ft antenna similar to that large one. tree branches and those kind of antennas don't mix well together...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

This site has some good info for the new CB User:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-20.html

Basically what I got from watching the videos and stuff is:

50-60% of antenna should be above the roof-line.
Loaded portion of antenna should be above roof-line.
A good ground is essential {radio/antenna uses the veh chasis as part of the system}.
Proper SWR tuning is needed, even out-of-box type antennee, to get maximum performance.

I went with the Wilson 1000 roof-mount type and intend to mount it to the top of my truck. I drive mostly in the desert, so there isn't a lot of overhead obstacles, flexibility isn't an issue. Possibly might have to run a grounding line to get a better ground for it?