Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Custom bracket for 6.5" speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:16 AM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Custom bracket for 6.5" speakers

I got two sets of 6.5" Polk MOMO speakers and am wondering how thick should I make the adapter bracket for it? I cut out the rivets and pulled off that whole blue bracket thingy. So it's gonna be screwed into the same spots which are on the door shell itself. What type of wood should I use? Any advice for someone that was in a similar situation? I also have some crossovers that need mounting...any suggestions? I can rivet the blue factory brackets in if that's the way to go...

When done it should look like this

Thanks,
Jacob

Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: Custom bracket for 6.5" speakers

how deep are your Polk's

Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

bout 2 1/2 inches, just make it out of 3/4" mdf. then get out a router(if available) and flush mount them in the mdf.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Actually after looking at it, I don't think a 3/4" alone will do it...I bought the ones that incorporate the tweeters, so I think they're a little thicker...So I guess I should double them up or buy thicker stuff? I'm planning on using the same piece to make my sub enclosure.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 AM

Well I got the mounting taken care of much easier then I was expecting. I modified the adapter the speakers came with to fit in the factory one...then just sandwiched it all together. I might make a writeup...although it's very straight forward if you have the tools and basic knowledge. But anyway, now I'm turning my focus elsewhere....with the 6.5s, would there be any advantage to putting in Polks MOMO 4x6s? Again on ebay they're fairly cheap (70+ship), so I was just toying with the idea...It seems like there would be a gain simply from the placement difference...no? I unhooked the stock tweeters...without a crossover they dominated a lot of the sound, and not in a good way...would installing 4x6s have the same effect? Should I just amp what I've got and move on to the sub? The single 6.5 I've installed already sounds so good that I've got a lot of faith in Polk now.

On to my next question...I'm looking for a sub that will create a lot of bass in a small sealed box (1-1.5 cu. ft). I mostly listen to Rock, but also enjoy boomy music like Sublime...So I need to get a lot of sound from a small space...naturally I've been looking at the 10" (you guessed it) Polk MOMO sub, which gets good reviews and is ideal for such an enclosure, but I don't want to get too close minded with the system...so any pointers?

PS: Thank you very much Ohio, you've been a huge help so far.

PPS: A couple weeks ago I saw link to a chart that had all the different subs and there specs (enclosure size, wattage, etc.). Of course I forgot to bookmark the page, so...anyone have this link?

Alright now I'm done for reals.