Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Double Din?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
TylerDurdenPSSC is on a distinguished road
Default Double Din?

So, after replacing the gas shocks for my glass hatch, I've turned my attention to the other thing that's bothering me about my new Blazer.

Still repping that 30-day tag, and I'm already itching to rip the interior sound system apart, in favor of something more desirable.

I'm a Boston Acoustics man through and through, so I'm almost set on a SP555 (or G5) in 12" with accompanying 6x9 and 6.5" (plus adapter) for the rear and front. Amplifiers will most likely be Boston, unless I find something online for cheaper. (Maybe Alpine, actually.)

Where I'm stuck, is the head unit. The control module, the epicenter of every sound system, because without it, we'd never hear anything.

I was looking at the dash today, and wandering if I cut out that little cubby hole, could I fit a double din touchscreen in it's place?

Has anyone done this? I know the standard is a din.5, but I'm not looking to be held back by the same handicap (imo) as my GA gave me.

When I was in high school, I would have set a budget for the build, now I know if you wanna truly be satisfied, you need to do what you need to do. (Being a bass player and playing nice gear kind of opened my eyes to that, haha.)

So, anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something with navigation option, and bluetooth would be nice since I'll be dropping buck on one-ah dem new fancy phones sometime this month.

Anyone!? Anyone?! Bueller!? Bueler!?!?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

try using the search function, i know a few ppl have done this

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

i believe that the 95-97 can house a double din however the pocket an be easily removed with the radio

Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member

I searched around on the site, and the majority of the responses I happened across were in regards to year models which do not apply to me.

I measured the entire area from the HVAC left, and came up with:

~5.5 inches tall.
~8.25 inches wide.
~10 inches diagonal.

Now, that was in the dark, and inaccurate I'm sure. However, it gives me something to work with.

The people who have said "I've done it" or "I did it." never supplied any pictures, tips, or instructions that I've found, which still allows the question to linger on my lips if I can, without fiberglass.

As far as brands, I'm pretty lost too. I know Pioneer is known for theirs, but I'm looking at a Clarion at the moment.

Any more input?

[EDIT: Found a pic on S10 forum, it can be done. Search google image for "95 96 97 Blazer Double Din" and it'll pop up with a single din in a large black formica surround.]

So, basically just looking for opinions on brands now.

Last edited by TylerDurdenPSSC; 05-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Yes It can be done. Heres a pic of a double din in a 97.

Attached Thumbnails Double Din?-dd.jpg   Double Din?-dd2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member

Very nice and clean install there. Diggin' the burl. :P

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Those are form a 97 bravada on cardomain. I like the burl but I think he went a little overboard with it. I have a Double Din Pioneer AVHP6000DVD that I plan on putting in soon. Pioneer has a lot of nice double din units and some are reasonably priced.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Pioneer does make or at least did make a 1.5 Din Head unit with Front/Rear/Sub Preoouts. This is what I have in my S15 Jimmy. I also hooked up the pioneer IPOD adapter. The IPOD display is limited.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member

I just hate din.5, I think it's a stupid middle ground.

Some of the guys over on S10Forum suggested a Kenny, and I think I'm in love with it. BlueTooth and Garmin Navigation built into ONE single unit, which I definitely dig, as opposed mouting $500 worth of expansion units under the dash.

I was going to set a "goal" of $500-$600 on a unit, but apparently, if I want it all in one then I need to spend around twice that.

I figure it'll take mearound $2500 for a total i.c.e. overhaul, with an Infinity system. (Gotta love that VQ sub, yeah?)

So I have another question. I've never installed in an SUV type vehicle before, should I use a closed or ported box? I've always lived by the creed "Closed in the Cabin" and "Vented in the Boot."

Any takers?