Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

faceplate and actual deck in different locations

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default faceplate and actual deck in different locations

I think I am going to do this next spring/summer. Right now I kinda hate how the first gens the CD player has to come out from the actual bezel to fit in the dash. I did some research and it seems pretty easy if you have electronic knowledge. All you need is some ribbon cable and to solder each wire in order to both the face and the actual deck, then you can move the deck anywhere and put the face anywhere you want.

I think I am going to put the deck in the glove box, and leave the face where it is, just have the face flush with the bezel. Get a spare from a scrap yard and make a nice fiberglass surround and wrap it in gray vinyl to match my interior.

Anyone else done this before? Its an old school "trick"

Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a lot of work to me! Some people heat and push the duct in, or notch it. I cut and notched it ever so slightly, and sealed with aluminum tape.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

LOL, it sounds like a lot of work, but its actually really easy. if you have some electronic knowledge. I was thinking about doing that to the vent, but I did not want to mess anything up.
I Like doing things that are not often done by people, like having the face in one place and deck in the glove box..

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it's been done before, and with successful results on several occasions. Haven't seen it done in years though, and yeah it's pretty much an old school "trick".

Used to see it done a fair amount on some of the really OLD classic cars. They'd do it that way so as not to ruin the dashboards in those cars usually and there were other reasons too.

Do you have some good soldering skills? It won't take much heat transfer to unsolder those little terminals from the board they're on, or to melt the plastic that surrounds them. Ideally you'll want to use a very low temp solder and a surface mount electronics soldering tip (very small tip). Also, you might want to practice on an old HU or one you don't care about first before attempting it on the one you're intending to use.

I think it's a good idea tho, and good luck with it!! Let me know if you might need some other insight on the project as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran

Ive built the tail lights, reverse lights, and have soldered up many others things in model cars to make functioning lights all the way down to hot wheels cars, I am confident I could do it, would be interesting to do, I do have a test deck I can use here first

Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Awesome!

I'm looking forward to seeing the build pics on it and the results.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 AM
247monster will become famous soon enough

thats a great idea might try that in my 80 regal!! lol