Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

factory dash tweeter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM
MadRooster7 is on a distinguished road

Hey Thanks, I was looking for info about how the 4 front speakers share their wiring. My last Blazer (87) was stolen, mostly because of a clearly visible stereo system. I just replaced it with a 95 XLT 4-door edition. And while I love having great sound, I also load and unload a full band's worth of gear pretty often, and have to deal with moving sub boxes around and folding/unfolding seats all the time.

I have some nice 4x6es I was able to recover from the stolen Blazer, and wasn't sure what the effect of just dropping them in the factory dash tweeter spots would be, given the fact that they share a harness. All the speakers are factory, and there's a cheezy aftermarket Pioneer 45wx4 HU in it. I would like to replace everything, but am on a super tight budget. I figure replacing the crappy Delco speakers is probably the first major improvement I could make. I recently got a deal on a decent-ish Sony 300W 2-channel amp and 1500w single sub and enclosure. I was thinking of, instead of installing the sub right away, using the amp to power two 6.5in low-profile woofers in the front doors, then putting the nice 4x6es in the dash, and two good 2-ways in the rear doors. I'm guessing that if I don't use the factory speaker wires in the front doors, then I'll get more power to the dash, and won't need to jumper the connectors, since it's parallel? Any other factory installed amps or crossovers in the harness I should be aware of?

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

If the truck doesn't have the BOSE factory system in it then there isn't any other factory amps, crossovers, or surprises. The 4x6's are wired in parallel with the front door speakers so yes, there won't be any need to change anything to make the 4x6's work if you decide to run wires from the 2 channel amp to the doors for new speakers there. As a matter of fact I would highly recommend it as the power from a HU is limited anyway, the 2 channel amp on the door speakers will provide more and much cleaner output. They will play with higher fidelity, more dynamic range, less distortion and well you get the idea, it's worth the trouble.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:32 AM
Starting Member
2000LTProject is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rumblur
Most HU's have 4 outputs, front R/L, and rear R/L. What are the dash tweets hooked to? Are they sharing the power to the front door speakers?

As for that "bass blocker", there's some sort of "lump" in the wiring to the tweeter, is there not? I havent pulled mine out yet but I've seen other pictures on here with something in there, wrapped in electrical tape. I may be totally wrong, however.
My 2000 has them and they are indeeed bass blockers....I'm interested to know what the cut off points are for them - Crutch sells new blockers for !0 a pair:

Part # MFR # BASS-8

Each Bass Blocker handles up to 50 watts RMS with a 6 dB per octave roll-off.

The listed cut-off points are at 4 ohms. If you use 8-ohm tweeters, the cut-off point is half the listed frequency. If you use 2-ohm tweeters, the cut-off point is double the listed frequency.

Note: You can connect these Bass Blockers in either direction, as the built-in capacitors are not polarized.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:19 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Just for information: I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy with the Bose system. One of the front speakers went out. I decided to purchase a set of Polk Audio 4X6 speakers. for the front. The Polk speakers sound better than the OEM Bose Tweeters. The only issue I had is the speaker grill does does sit perfectly flush with the dash on one side. The rest of the BOSE system in in tact.