Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Help with Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
johnwayne200 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Audio System

Hello all, i have a 2000 Blazer LT 4door and i recently bought two 12in kicker cvr's and a 1000w amp running 4gauge wire. the problem i am having is with voltage drain. the subs or w/e it may be is pulling the battery down below 12v and the amp will go into protection mode causing no more boom boom from subs..... i installed a 3.5farrad cap and thought this would help but it done nothing. im looking for some ideas as the what is causing the problem maybe i have to upgrade the alt? i had both the battery and alt tested so i know they are not bad.

if u need more info lmk. ty 4 any help

Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 PM
MakaveIi is on a distinguished road

Yeah they best way to fix this is to get a high output alternator. If a good high output alternator is out of your price range, you can also actually get the stock alternator out of a couple trucks that will bolt right in and give you much better performance. If you have a junkyard nearby that carries the 2003 body style of these trucks: Suburban, Escalade, H2 Hummer, Buick Rainier, Tahoe, and a there's an Isuzu as well.It's only around 50 or 60 bucks.

I'll link you to HO alternator for the Hummers, not a bad price at all and it give you more at idle than the stock Blazer one does at max.

DB Electrical - S10 BLAZER TAHOE SUBURBAN 250 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 96-05 8237

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MakaveIi
Yeah they best way to fix this is to get a high output alternator. If a good high output alternator is out of your price range, you can also actually get the stock alternator out of a couple trucks that will bolt right in and give you much better performance. If you have a junkyard nearby that carries the 2003 body style of these trucks: Suburban, Escalade, H2 Hummer, Buick Rainier, Tahoe, and a there's an Isuzu as well.It's only around 50 or 60 bucks.

I'll link you to HO alternator for the Hummers, not a bad price at all and it give you more at idle than the stock Blazer one does at max.

DB Electrical - S10 BLAZER TAHOE SUBURBAN 250 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 96-05 8237

thats not a bad idea, but instead of jumping the gun on that, why not do the big three upgrade which is a lot cheaper and can help keep voltage up. i currently have a JL Audio 1000/1 and JL 300/4 in my truck and i never go into protect. i have stock alternator and battery right now and zero issues.

the big 3 consists of upgrading your charging electrical under the hood.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

ditch the cap. upgrade your big 3. have your battery tested. if its bad, replace it. if you still have issues after all that, get a high output alternator.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bobditts
ditch the cap. upgrade your big 3. have your battery tested. if its bad, replace it. if you still have issues after all that, get a high output alternator.
straight to the point, nice (not hating). I'm too nice i guess.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

why beat around the bush when you can plow right through it? Its the military in me.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Dweeberman is on a distinguished road

if you have loads of money lol go with a custom dual circuit battery system and a HO alternator if not, then go with what the others said hahaah

Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I used to have a problem while running all of my lights (600w not including the head-lights) and my stereo at idle, it would drain really quick. I did the big 3 and I don't have any more problems.