Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

HU install possible issue?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
new92 is on a distinguished road
Default HU install possible issue?

Received the Pioneer DEH-X5500HD CD Receiver yesterday in a 2001 Blazer 4 dr LT (no Bose) and after looking at the harness that Crutchfield sent with it and the install section in the manual (its been a few years since I have swapped anything out) it looked like the colors of the wires matched right up

The only question I initially had was using the blue/white remote wire coming from the head unit to the blue wire on the harness. Went ahead and connected them and and everything was working fine.

Woke up this morning to a dead battery, jumped it off and drove to work. When I was backing into the parking space (in case I needed to jump it again) it started to stutter and voltage dropped when it was in reverse. That made me think alternator. I had wondered in the past if the alternator was going bad when this was my wife's truck.

Question now is should I have not wired the blue to the blue/white and that drained my battery or is it more likely that the alternator was already going bad and the extra draw of the new HU killed it?

Still at work and just looking for input so I can get a head start on it this afternoon, either replacing the alternator, or the battery, or re-wiring the HU (which means pulling the dash piece back out lol