Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Kinetik Battery, will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member
MBunk_007 is on a distinguished road
Default Kinetik Battery, will it fit?

For the past few months I've been planning out a sound system for my '96 4dr Blazer. I think I have pretty much everything planned out and am now getting ready to order everything. The first wave of items that I will be ordering are for my electrical system: DC Power 300 Amp SPX HO Alternator, Kinetik KHC1800 Battery, and 0 gauge power wire. A tad overkill for the 1600 watt system I have planned, but I'd rather have plenty of power for future installs: additional lights and whatnot.

Anywho, my question is if anyone else here is using the Kinetik 1800 in a Blazer, or better yet '96 Blazer, and if they had to make any modifications to make it fit. I know I stumbled upon another thread on here where one of the commentors had an 1800 and had to modify some of the frame to get it to fit. Just looking for some better details on what needs to be done and preferably some pictures.

I also have a question regarding deadener. I plan on ordering a 100 sq ft package of fatmat. Will that be enough to cover the entire interior? I for sure want to cover all 4 doors and the rear compartment. I figured that while I have the interior of my Blazer ripped out, I may as well cover the front and mid compartments as well and maybe even the roof. Am I going overboard with this? I know the 100 sq ft will cover the main areas that I want to hit, just not sure about the additional sections.

Thanks for the help. This is the first sound system install that I have ever planned out and I would like to do it right.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I don't have the kinetic in my truck, but the measurements of my Intimidator 9A78DT are almost exactly the same. I had to shave the corner on the battery plate to get it to sit flat and mount down. Here's a before and after pic. It was no big deal to do. I knocked the corner off mine with a bench grinder in just a few seconds. Also, if you have a 4x4 it's a good opportunity to check your front drive axle actuator and vacuum lines out too.

Before:

After:

On the deadener, you should read up on how to install it, how much you really need, and what products are most suitable to be used. Fatmat is an asphalt based deadener that will not only smell but not stick as well as it should. Butyl based products are the only way to go and brands like Second Skin, RaamMat, and SDS (Sound Deadener Showdown) are some of the best for the money. 25% coverage is all that you need so 100 sq.ft. Is way more than you really need. Save yourself some time and money and do the research to do it right the first time.

Attached Thumbnails Kinetik Battery, will it fit?-dscn0148.jpg   Kinetik Battery, will it fit?-dscn0150.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member
MBunk_007 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look more into the deadener situation. I have a couple of months still before it will be warn enough out to start installing the deadener. Plenty of time to do research and get everything figured out.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a sticky here about sound deadner. It's pretty much right on. I believe it is written using specs and guidelines from SDS. I would suggest you study it and plan your purchases accordingly. As far as product goes, I have had great results with the second skin line of products. In my opinion, they are just a touch better quality, but it could be just my personal preferences. Any of the major brands alton mentioned would be fine.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I would agree that personal preference plays a bit into that as my preference goes to the SDS, but only by a hair. Second Skin and SDS offer the best product for the money IMHO. RaamMat is good stuff, but it just doesn't stand up to SS or SDS. However I do really like RammAudio's Ensolite IUO closed cell foam. It has a sticky backing to it making it a peal and stick installation which I do really like. Negates the use of a spray adhesive in places you won't ever be worrying about taking it back off again like the floor, ceiling, rear quarter panels, etc. On the doors I would still use the SDS CCF or SS Overkill. Attaching those with peal and stick velcro will still allow you to get into the internals when needed to do things like change a window motor.