Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Looking for a good amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
red98grandamse is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a good amp

I'm currently working on recycling the speakers and sub from my Pontiac to the Blazer. I haven't looked at amps for a couple years now, so I'm not so up to date on what's decent right now. The sub that I'm going to be using is a JL audio W1 v2.4. The box that it's in was one that I built to spec for the trunk of my car, so I'm not reusing it, but I will build a new box to spec. I'm just looking for opinions/ideas on what a decent amp would be to run this sub. I'm just looking for something clean. I will also be swapping out all of the speakers in the blazer, but will probably not put an amp to those at this time.
So what brands does everyone recommend?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 PM
JasonSVS is on a distinguished road

I've had Precision Power, Rockford Fosgate and now Arc Audio, never had any issues with any of them.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't worry so much about brands I would look for which amp will power your sub the best, check your rms wattage and the ohms that your sub runs at, then start searching for amps, most of the time best buy doesn't carry amps that meet most sub's needs to power them effectively, check ebay there are tons of amps for good prices

Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 PM
red98grandamse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I wouldn't worry so much about brands I would look for which amp will power your sub the best, check your rms wattage and the ohms that your sub runs at, then start searching for amps, most of the time best buy doesn't carry amps that meet most sub's needs to power them effectively, check ebay there are tons of amps for good prices
I know all about that. I need a 1000 watt rms amp in 4 ohms. Im simply trying to weed out the **** brands such as dual and whatever else is out there and not worth my time. Like I said, ive been out of the audio game just long enough that manufacturer quality has changed, and I would rather not waste my time and money, so I was asking the good people of this forum about what I shouldnt waste my time on

Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road

get something with a bass ****. they make it sound a lot better when you can change the amount of bass with each song. oh and hifonics is a good brand that has good amps that have high wattage at a reasonable price. if you want it to be really clean bass go with the alpine amps. those are expensive though. oh and a good place to buy amps would be amazon.com. they have great pice on quality stuff and they are very reliable. if you want real clean bass get at least 4 ohm or hight. i had a pair of 8 ohm subs and they sounded awesome. cleanest bass ever. too bad you cant get the same power wattage out of those oh well it just depends on what you want.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I've had good experience with sound storm and ssl amps they are "ebay" brands but they sell high powered amps for less than $200. I have an 2000 watt 2 channel ssl (800 rms) for my polk it powers my sub great. but yea stay away from "walmart" brands such as dual, sony (explode), vr3, ect

Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road

mine is a pioneer 1200 watt

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
FIGG is on a distinguished road

I have a rockford amp in the blazer and a Rockford in my eclipse. probably the best amps i have had.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It all depends on your budget for the purchase. Rockford, Kicker, Alpine, Arc Audio, MMATS, Incriminator Audio, Digital Designs, Zapco, Boston Acoustics, Diamond Audio, MTX and JBL (to name a few) all build amps that are very good for the $$$. Problem is that most are on the higher side cost wise. I've installed PowerBass, Hifonics, Crunch, MB Quart, Cadence, Alphasonik, Profile, and lots of other cheaper brands that did just fine for the money.

Poweracoustik, Boss and pretty much any brand that sells a 1000 watt amp for under $100 I tend to stay away from since they're generally definitely not worth wasting money on. Your W1 is only rated at 150wrms which is low power and should be easy to find an amp for.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by red98grandamse
The box that it's in was one that I built to spec for the trunk of my car
Say what??? You are supposed to build the enclosure to spec for the sub