Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

need help with sirius radio, '04 blzr zr2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
kulls61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help with sirius radio, '04 blzr zr2

hello everyone, i'm new to the blazer forum, and would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me. here's the 411 -- i am attempting to install a sirius sir-gm1 receiver to my factory head unit (6 disc change, rds, "band" button) should work with this radio i was told by the dude @ circuit city. major problem, though -- the head unit will not recognize the sirius tuner. (by the way -- radio does NOT have factory XM). i noticed when i removed the head unit from the blazer, that the radio itself had 2 connectors, a 24 pin & a 12 pin. the 24 pin connected to the factory wire harness, however the 12 pin was not connected anywhere to the vehicle. i understand the 12 pin connector is for the class 2 data system on the vehicle, but i don;t know why it was not connected to the vehicle. the wiring harness supplied with the sirius tuner plugs into the sirius tuner at one end, the factory head unit at another, and should plug into the vehicle at the third end. i don't know where to plug this into the vehicle's class 2 data system. i have literally torn apart the entire dash looking for this connector on the vehicle with no luck. can anyone shed some light on this PLEEEEEEASE. i've been playing with this for 3 weekends & the mrs. would really like her blazer back!!! besides--while the blazer is torn apart, she's been driving my new '08 silverado & i really miss it!!!!
thanks for any help you can give

Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: need help with sirius radio, '04 blzr zr2

My suggestion is to take it to audio express or best buy for installation!! Those can be a bear sometimes to install! MY buddy used to work for audio express and he even said its a pain to interface with a factory head unit!! WELCOME to the forum by the way!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:00 PM
kulls61 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice!!! i may end up doing that, but that would mean swallowing my pride!!!! i'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. i did find some new info a few hours ago. my wife said the original radio was replaced by the dealer shortly after she purchased the vehicle new (before we were together) i am beginning to wonder if this is even the correct radio for the vehicle!!! if you talk to your buddy in the near future, see if he has any ideas. i would greatly appreciate any insight!!!! thanks for your reply

Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

He doesn't work for them anymore, but he was also a sales rep and he had his guys in the install bay do his for him!! He did however mention that with an aftermarket head unit ment for sirius would make it all plug and play and be easier to do!!