Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Need to pull Head Rest out

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 AM
vifa84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to pull Head Rest out

I would like to pull my head rest out of my 99 LT Blazer to install LCD monitors for my daughter to watch her cartoons. I can pull it up to a point where it stops and I don't see any release to get it to pop out.
Thanks for any help

Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
vifa84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need to pull Head Rest out

No one here knows how to pull the head rest out?

Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take a look at mine when I get home from work. IIRC, there is a small hole that you poke through that will release the catch holding it on.

*EDIT* - Eh... It's slow here today so I decided to take a walk out to my truck. On mine, there are 3 little dogs (clips) that are popped out, capturing the lower section of the head rest shaft. It looks like these 3 catches would need to be pushed back all at the same time inorder to get it out. Only thing I can think of is making up a small tool to do this. If you had some old 1/4" (or possibly 3/8") copper or thin walled pvc pipe, I would think all you'd need to do would be to cut out about a 100* pie cut down the side of the pipe. Make two of them and slide them over the legs on the head rest. Push them down into the back of the seat to disengage the catches and you should be able to pull the headrest out with little effort.

I'll make up something to that effect tonight and snap some pictures if you still haven't gotten it.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a coupld threads in this forum about this. I just installed 2 5.6" LCDs (audiovox) into the headrests of my 98 blazer 4 door. I got a few suggestions on how to remove the headrests, but none panned out. I went ahead and just worked on them while they were on the seats, just lifted them up high to work on. Honestly, it is probably easier to work on it that way since you done have to hold them still. They really aint goin anywhere if they are connected to the seat. My main reasons for wanted them out was to run the wires through, but I quickly found out that the posts in the headrests are solid, so theirs no way around it, at least not that I found. I installed them very easily afterwards.

Please note: As I described in one of the 2 other posts I made about this, the LCD's you are looking to install must be either really, really thin (im talkin no thicker than about 2 inches) or they must have spacers. The posts of the headrest go from the seat up into the actual headrest and then meet each other in the middle. They really get in the way when tryin to make enough depth for a flush mount.

Let me know if you have any questions about the install. Like I said, I was able to install mine with the headrests still on the seat and they look awesome. I have already had people askin where I bought them, as if the headrests came with the LCDs.

Good luck and have fun.