Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

A new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Starting Member
Jenn is on a distinguished road
Default A new head unit

So I am hoping someone can help me out. I want a nice and brand new head unit in my 1998 Chevy blazer ls. Problem is the one I likecrutchfield says it won't fit. I want a pioneer Avh-p1400dvd does anyone out there either have this in theirs or something like it?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Technically speaking, my regular size Kenwood didn't "FIT" in my Jimmy either. I had to trim a bracket in the dash that supported the rear of the factory stereo to get it to fit. It wasn't too hard to do either.

The issue with the receiver you're wanting is that it's a double DIN, or in other words the face of it is double the height of a standard HU. The trucks come with a 1.5 sized DIN factory stereo opening which isn't quite tall enough to fit the double DIN without doing some modification.

If you search this forum and around the interwebz you'll find quite a bit of information on how to modify the dash on these trucks to fit that double DIN stereo and still make it look real good. If you're not up to the task or lack the capability to do such a modification yourself then you'll need to look at hiring someone, which could be quite costly, or unfortunately you'll need to set your heart on another unit.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Starting Member
Default Head unit

Actualy the factory head unit that is in there now is a big one. Lol or I guess double din. As I guess it's called cause oddly enough it is a tape deck but yet under the arm rest there a cd case holder. Lol. Thanks though for replying back to me.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Starting Member

This should take you to a pic of my head unit that is in it now.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

There is no photo there, but altoncustomtech is correct on the 1.5din, Your stock radio is not the same size as the double din that you are trying to put in and it will take a bit of modification to get it to fit properly.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

The head unit in your Blazer is the 1.5 din. They actually make din and a half head units, though they're getting harder to find, from decent manufacturers anyhow.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Not sure if it will fit your truck but the 03+ s-series had a factory double din. All you would need is the bezel out of one