Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

new head unit or speakers first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM
brian400ex is on a distinguished road
Default new head unit or speakers first?

I have an '03 4 door. Would upgraging my hu have better sound than the stock one using the stock speakers? or should i use the stock hu and replace the speakers? i know i will need an anteana adapter and the wiring harness. how do the front dash speakers hook up? just hook into the front door speakers? Will i lose my tach? i heard you will. also i will lose the auto volume feature right? can u install one of the larger hu like the stock one?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

new head unit. Always upgrade the brains of your "system" first. Cant garantee it will make your stock speakers sound better (since it is possible they could be damaged), but it is the best starting point.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brian400ex
I have an '03 4 door. Would upgraging my hu have better sound than the stock one using the stock speakers? or should i use the stock hu and replace the speakers? i know i will need an anteana adapter and the wiring harness. how do the front dash speakers hook up? just hook into the front door speakers? Will i lose my tach? i heard you will. also i will lose the auto volume feature right? can u install one of the larger hu like the stock one?
Hmm, lets see, how to attack this.
1.) (Should I upgrade the HU or speakers?) Upgrading a HU will improve sound, but then again, so will speakers. If you're going to upgrade one, just upgrade both. Its like doing an intake and exahust, whats the point of just doing one right?
2.) (How do the dash speakers hook up?) Um, I'm not sure what this question means, but the speakers are just the standard positive and negative wires.
3.) (Will I lose my tach?) I have no idea on this one...
4.) (WIll I lose the auto volume feature?) Yes, you will. That is the one thing I miss about my stock stereo.
5.) (Can you install a larger HU?) This is tricky business. In short, yes, you can, but its a bit of a run around. I have a single din and it looks fine.

So there ya go. Oh, and not to sound like a broken record, but theres a lot of good information on this site if you look for it.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 AM

on hooking up the dash speakers....do you just hook the two left front speakers together and the two front right speakers? car has 6 speakers and hu only has output for 4. btw i did do searches and the search feature on this forum is not very good.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Searching on here takes time, I'd say that ya, the front dash speakers are wired up to the front speakers. They act as tweeters because they have a high-pass filter on it, only putting out higher frequencies (treble instead of bass.) I have my sub in my truck putting all the bass out and it sounds great, all I did was the HU and left the stock speakers in. Mind you it was an expensive deck.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

go for a new head unit then speakers.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:10 PM

anybody know how many watts per channel the stock radio is and at what ohms?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

what about how many ohms the dash speaker, front speakers and the rear speakers are? are the front dash and front door only half the ohms the rear speakers and are they run in series?