Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

off/on road lighting ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 PM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default off/on road lighting ideas

Im looking to put 4 lights on my roof and 2 lights on my brushguard. I wouldn't mind running the lights on the brushguard while on road, ya i know its still illegal most places. I've been looking at KC daylighters really not much more then most lights.

I was thinking of 2 driving or flood lights on my brushguard. Then either 4 long range on top or 2 long range and 2 driving. (since KC daylighters have flood, long range, driving)

Now about wiring: KC makes a roof wiring kit http://www.jcwhitney.com/KC-HILITES-...2820_10101.jcw Any comments on this does it use a relay i'd assume it does. Is there a cheaper kit or way to do this. Thanks for the help guys and gals

Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yes, you need to utilize relays or you could start melting things... I have my front lights on one relay and my roof lights on a second relay. Each relay could then be controlled by a switch (or the high beam).
In my particular case, I use just one switch to activate both relays and turn on all the lights at once... I figure that when I am off-road, I will want them all on anyway.
I just made my own wire harness but you can buy them in kit form.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Lots of roof lighting ideas on here.
Check out the albums & see what others have done.
I made a separate light bar which mounts to the "feet" of the roof rack since I still want to use my roof rack - or, you could fit them to the front crossbar like a lot of others have done or even fit a roof basket & mount them on there.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 PM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i plan on mounting them the the roof rack bar (i never use them anyways). Its just the question of what kind of wiring to use i know to use relays but where do you get them, if i plan on making my own wiring kit? Also if anyone uses kc daylighters im sure there is. What kind did you use and where? (long range, driving, flood)

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

you should be able to get everything you need to make your own from radioshack

bandidolenny:
how did you connect your lights to the highbeams switch
that would be so cool to just turn on high beams and have
daylight again lol

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevo
how did you connect your lights to the highbeams switch
that would be so cool to just turn on high beams and have
daylight again lol
i have my quadbeams wired this way, all you do is wire the coil of the relay to your highbeam wire and ground, then you wire the relays switch polls to your battery and your lights. there are lots of circuits floating about. just take a look at the quadbeam circuits, itl give you some neat ideas!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Actually, I didn't connect them to my high beam circuit because I don't wanna melt my covers everytime I hit the brights. Although it would just be a matter of wiring the relay switched power wire to the high beam "hot".
These relays are available at most any auto parts store in the electrical parts section.
I have 4 driving lights and 2 pencil beams.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep! Thats exactly how mine are wired, lol. i just didnt mention the switch for ease of explaining the circuit. without the switch i think my lows would possibly turn on with my drl's, given there is enough voltage. radioshack has cheap switches with led power indication. i have pics of my switchbox in my album too, i think it looks clean enough. I just dont like the whole "trucker" cab look with everythang ghetto mounted. I try to keep it all looking as stock as possible within context.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road

I just want to put low power driving lights on my front bumper and run one of the "nos" switches in the empty block under the headlight control, it will look sick. Can I just hook up the lights, wire to the battery and then run the wire to the switch in the cabin? Its my first time doing this type of mod and I figured it would be something fun to start with.