Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough
Default opinions please.

which set of 12s should i run on a IA 10.1 Incriminator Audio IA10.1 1200W RMS Amplifier - SSA STORE

i do not own one yet but its on sale so next pay check it should be mine .. right now 2 SA-12s at 1ohm look to be (possably look at a 15 please chime in) i just dont really care for the hole 2 10s idea (which is not bad but i know there so much more options that are better.) i was personally thinking about 1 IA LI12 or 15 at 1ohm. but itd seem safer to run at 2ohms since its be more for daily use. which in turn would seem the SD-12s would fit that better. kind of wanting it to be a IA build(but id like everyones opinions on this to get the best bang for my buck)

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

There would be nothing wrong with running a single IA LI on the 10.1 at one ohm. If you weren't wanting to run the amp so hard and pull so much on your electrical by running at 2 ohms then some Sundown SD or E series or the IA I series would be fine like that.

Don't get so caught up in the numbers. The power ratings don't have to match exactly and as long as you're responsible with the volume and gain ***** an extra 100 or 200 watts or so over the rated power of the sub isn't going to make any difference. For that matter, having more than rated power on tap can be a great thing as it can allow you to easily run the sub up to it's full output potential with less chance of the amp ever reaching distortion.

For example, when I tested that sub which was rated at 600wrms with my Sundown 2k I had enough power available to easily turn that thing inside out. I was able to drive it right to it's limits with ease, however, as long as I respected those limits that single 12 was able to give output levels that matched how we typically listen to our pair of 12's. That's really pretty impressive and couldn't have been possible with only 600 watts of power. The SD2k is rated for 500 at 4 ohms and when I tested the sub at first wired to 4 ohms it did great, but nothing like it could do with 2k available to throw at it. I got more output and cleaner output with all the extra headroom.

I'm not saying everyone should be running 2x or 3x rated power to their subs, but I am saying that a little extra isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Say I run a IA LI 12 at 1ohm. 4ga wire (because it says it gas 4ga power terminals). O.o should a run a reserve battery?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Honestly, that will depend on the voltage drop. If you wanted to go ahead and run one so you don't have to think or worry about it then there's nothing wrong with that at all. IMHO there's never anything wrong with overkill. Before I even had the first amp installed in my Jimmy I had already bought a second battery and installed a 250A HO alternator. Did I need them for a 1500 watt amp? Maybe, I never bothered to see how bad the voltage drop would be on the stock electrical but this way I won't have to worry about it at all and if I ever upgrade to a larger amp I've already got the electrical backbone to run it with.

In your case, I'd put it in on the current electrical setup, put a voltage meter on the amp terminals, and watch the voltage drop. If it's dipping into the 11v range for example, when you're at a normal listening level you will need to upgrade your electrical for certain. If it's only dipping to the 11v range when you've got it all out working as hard as it can then it kinda comes down to your listening habits. If you listen to it cranked a lot then it would be recommended to add a battery, at least upgrade to the AD244 alternator, or something like that. If you're hardly ever running it that hard and therefore hardly ever subjecting the amp to <12v situations then you wouldn't necessarily have to upgrade.

It really comes down to how bad the voltage drop is, your listening habits, your budget and preferences. Electrical upgrades are usually the most expensive upgrade in the hobby that doesn't relate directly to the sound itself. If you have the money to throw at it then it's a no brainer, if you don't then monitoring the voltage drop and making the upgrades when it's absolutely necessary is the best way to handle it. One of those Stinger brand voltage meters (for example) can look good and possibly save money if a person never or rarely has a voltage drop issue.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 PM

I guess I should also say that all this is going on the Pontiac. which is why I was talking possible single 12 or 15.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Well, it's no secret I'm a little biased to the american made brands, lol, but all three are great brands and subs. I can only speak from personal experience with one though and my sister's DCON is an amazing sub. It sure as hell doesn't perform like it's the low model on the totem pole. One issue with the DCON though is that they're in the process of remodeling the line and it's likely going to be a little longer wait on the build time than normal. So going that route might be a longer wait than you want to do.

I've had experience with the IA 187's, which was the model the I series replaced. The 187's, like the DCON's, performed way above expectations for their price and power ratings. I doubt IA would have made any changes that would have hindered the performance so I can only imagine the I series are every bit as good and possibly better than the 187's. I've not had any experience with the Sundown E series but they've not failed on a sub model in their lineup yet. The SA series has been one of the most popular, versatile, and widely used subs that aren't a mainstream brand I've ever seen. Sundown puts the same high performance, quality, and durability emphasis on all their lineup whether it's the Nightshade or Z all the way down to the E so I wouldn't be the least bit afraid of what the E's could do.

It boils down to the budget you want to spend and the space you're willing to give up and the possible difficulty of fitting it in the car. Of course a single 12 will fit much easier than a pair of 12's or a single 15 but when you compare apples to apples the single 12 won't be able to touch the output of the pair of 12's or the single 15 either. A compromise will have to be made and it won't be an easy choice to make. The single 15 option would fall in the middle of the road, cheaper than a pair of 12's and an enclosure need that would likely be a little smaller. If you wanted instant middle of the road gratification the Sundown E series 15" would be the way to go. The DCON comes in a 15 but you may have to wait awhile for it. For a single 12 setup I don't see any issues with any of the three options aside from the wait time for a DCON if you're in a hurry. A pair of 12's would be the loudest option and I don't think it would matter what you chose to use for drivers you're going to be very happy with the results with a good enclosure. The only issue is the enclosure size, leftover trunk space, and getting the enclosure into the car if measurements aren't just right.

I know I never answered any sort of question directly and I can't. I have no place telling you what to do but with the options you listed spelled out with all the pros and cons in detail hopefully it will make it easier to make a choice. Hopefully this does help.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:38 PM

That's why the title is Opinions . Only reason I seed kinda of werry aboitbtge I series is becausebtgevdrivers seem a lot smaller. From the pic seem as small as my mtx's drivers.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Well, if I comment by opinion then I would do so in the manner of how I would do it.

In that case I would get the IA 10.1 and go ahead and wait it out for a pair of single 4 ohm SSA DCON 12's to run at 2 ohm final load on the amp. I'd put them in about 4.5 cuft net enclosure sealed to the cabin of the car with a center slot port as big as the trunk opening would allow me to add to the net size of the enclosure all tuned to about 28 or 30hz.

But that's just how id do it.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 AM

There you go