Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Powered Sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Powered Sub

This might have already been covered, but what is the best way to install a small (~100-200w) powered subwoofer and hiding the wires? If it is under the carpets, I would want to avoid the driver's footwell and the carpet behind the passenger seat because there always seems to be condensation or something making the carpet wet under the floor mats. I have a 2008 model Sony XPlod CD Headunit with preouts for Subs or Amps. I can get the wire instructions, but how would I mount it in the truck and route the wires to the battery and radio? Where would I put it (trunk, backseats, etc.?) ? The reason why I am asking this is because I might be getting either a Bazooka tube sub or the Kenwood "flat" powered sub for my 18th birthday. I AM NOT looking to put in like a 1000w huge box that covers the entire cargo area or something that makes the ground feel like an earthquake (like some of the lunatics at my school who blast their stereos so loud near the building it pisses both principals off because they can hear it in their offices.) or something that would blow the alternator because I am only looking for a little modest bass for the techno music I listen to all the time. You guys can laugh if you want because the only changes to my audio setup are the headunit with the install kit and the 2 wire harnesses (I am too much of a nerd to solder) from Circuit City when they were open and an external Sirius tuner in October. Thanks for any help on this topic.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road

I had to rip a bazooka out of my blazer and everything was wired under the floor panels near the doors. You can just use a screw driver and go through all the kick panels and seatbelt panels and it will look pretty clean. I wired my RF sub and amp the same way.

Be careful though...the bazooka directions will tell you that for best sound quality to go off the high level inputs and the kenwood will tell you to go off the preamps. Both will give preamp low level options though so I don't think it will matter. I recommend low level/preamp.

Both come with screws and straps to harness them to the truck in some way. The bazookas had straps screwd right into the floor in the back. Powered subs tend to work best in the back but if the kenwoods are flat enough you might get away with putting them under the seat. Depends on your configuration and space.

Make sure you keep the power wire away from the high/low level signal lines to prevent distortion. I would also check to make sure there is a gain **** on the powered sub. The bazooka I pulled didn't seem to have one and I couldn't "level it" with my speaker setup.

The bazooka was pretty boomy though so if you like that then go for bazooka. I hear the powered kenwoods are pretty tight on the bass though. I rather tight so will recommend the kenwoods. Especially for techno. Techno requires some nice tight bass IMO.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:39 PM
seddyblazer is on a distinguished road

I would stay away from the bazookas, I don't know that they're terrible as far as sound quality goes, but they look trashy. And if you're seats don't fold down, or if you're not going to use that feature, you could put a small sub under the back seats. The power, turn-on lead, and RCA cables should be run along the sides, under the plastic trim and carpets. Make sure you run the RCA cable on the side opposite of the power wire.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

is it possible to fit a Kenwood KSC-SW10 under the rear seats WHILE allowing them to fold? I still use the truck to carry alot of stuff and I also might still go camping with our troop , which requires both back seats down (geeks travel with alot of stuff!). Any suggestions?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-03-2009 at 05:42 PM.