Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

question about gm radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:41 AM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about gm radios

i know on newer gm's, that if you shut the car off with the ignition in the off position, the radio will still be on till the driver door is opened. is there any possible way i can do that to my jimmy? i think that is a cool feature on the newer gm cars and trucks. i read it online somewhere about it and i really don't remember where i found it. thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: question about gm radios

It's called RAP (Retained Accessory Power). You would need to get a timed relay. The relay would need to be wired into the driver's door switch as well as have an interupt so that you won't shut off the stereo when the vehicle is running and driver's door open. You would then power any accessory you like with the power feed from the relay.

This could all be accomplished with some micro relays. One with say a 5 minute timer and another normal relay. Wire in the driver's door switch (which is a ground switch) to trip the ground from the coil on the timer relay. Between the door switch and the timer relay, place another relay that will connect the door switch wire only when the ignition is off. Then on the timer relay, feed in +12v constant power to one side, and the other side would go to the +12v ignition source for your stereo (don't forget the fuse). You just have to make sure that you remove the +12v ignition source from the stereo because you don't want to back feed into the rest of the vehicle.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 PM

where would i be able to get the relays? radioshack? thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, radioshack should work. Basically, you'd only need to wire in the door switch to right up behind the stereo. You could use the original +12v IGN source wire to power the door interupt relay. Then tap into the +12v constant on the radio to the timed relay that would connect with the +12v IGN into the radio. The rest of the timed relay would be wired with +12v constant and then the ground through the door switch relay.

If you need more indepth schematics, I can see what I can draw up for you later...

*EDIT* - HAHA. Well, searching for a schematic of a relay, I found this:
Radio On Until Door Open - Special Applications

But remember, this will power the radio UNTIL the door is opened... There is no time limit so keep that in mind if you go this route. By substituting a timed relay into the last relay position (I think...)...

I also do not know if this will work properly with the vehicle on... I mean, you don't want your stereo shutting off every time you open your door with the engine running... LOL I think the lower schematic with diodes would work, but you'd have to check it out.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 AM

that was the site i remember! thanks so much. i couldn't remember the name of it. i remember seeing the link for that on the w-body forums a little over a year ago. thanks so much for the help.