Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

CB & VHF mobile radios ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default CB & VHF mobile radios ?

Well, I bought 2 of each to install in my big rig, and my pickup. I don't know what antennas to get though so I need the gangs help with that. I would like long ones for the rig, and shorties for my pickup since I'm going to mount them behind the cab to the box edge.

These are the radios I got:

The VHFs
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200924908144&index=0&nav=SEARCH&ni d=76793509845

And the CBS
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=390431552332&index=2&nav=SEARCH&ni d=11959159171

Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't feel like tuning the SWR, a factory Firestick with an 18' coax cable is tuned at the factory for Channel 19.
I used to use a Monkey Made... I was also running a six pill linear.
You really can't go wrong with Wilson... if overhead clearances are an issue, the Little Wil on a magnet mount is great for a car. The 1000 should be more than sufficient for your truck, even if you're running power... if you're running a single pill behind that radio, any Wilson can handle it.
Be careful who you let work on these, especially if you cross the border. Stomper Electronics in Duncan, SC is the only shop I trust to work on my Connex, and if that means I UPS it out there and back, then so be it. You can find feedback on CB shops in various truckers forums and such.. Class A Drivers, The Truckers Report, etc. (just be forewarned that the politics section of the latter is a real ghetto).
Don't really know much about the various brands of VHF antennas. Someone else always set up my 2m and 75cm antennas for me.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

In the U.S. whoever installs a VHF needs to be licensed. On the CB, I prefer the 1/4 wave antennas. They have more efficient output. One thing to remember, when you have excess cable, do NOT coil it up! Loop it back and forth and then secure it. If it's coiled, it turns intf an electromagnet when you key the mike. This can cause all sort of problems from frequency interference to shutting down computers. After all, you wouldn't rub a magnet on a computer, would you? I worked on a Mustang back in the early 80's that would just shut down. The owner had coiled the CB antenna cable in a coil laying on top of it. I took the ties off, looped it back and forth and retied it and it never had a lick of trouble after that.