Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Question about stock crossover and ohms

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Beginning Member
darklink is on a distinguished road
Default Question about stock crossover and ohms

I have an '02 Blazer LS 4-door and have been slowly upgrading sound system. I started off with installing an Alpine CDE-133BT head unit and an Alpine KTP-445 power pack. In the rear doors I installed Alpine SPS-610's but have been holding off on installing the front speakers until I fixed my door hinge pins.

Just this weekend I read through some articles regarding wiring component speakers up front. I found out that that the front tweeters (in the dash) and door panel speakers were wired in parallel with a crossover. My question is, if I disconnected the stock tweeters, then installed the door speakers and ran the new tweeters from those, am I getting 4 ohms to the door panel speakers? They are Alpine SPS-610C component speakers.

Last edited by darklink; 08-06-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by darklink
I have an '02 Blazer LS 4-door and have been slowly upgrading sound system. I started off with installing an Alpine CDE-133BT head unit and an Alpine KTP-445 power pack. In the rear doors I installed Alpine SPS-610's but have been holding off on installing the front speakers until I fixed my door hinge pins.

Just this weekend I read through some articles regarding wiring component speakers up front. I found out that that the front tweeters (in the dash) and door panel speakers were wired in parallel with a crossover. My question is, if I disconnected the stock tweeters, then installed the door speakers and ran the new tweeters from those, am I getting 4 ohms to the door panel speakers? They are Alpine SPS-610C component speakers.

I believe you're correct in your thinking on how the factory setup is. However the "crossover" is not a real crossover in the same sense it is with the aftermarket component set. All they're using from the factory is a simple capacitor as a 6db slope high pass filter to protect the tweeter from bass frequencies, that's it. Connect your component set's crossover with the wire that's going to the door speaker, then run a new wire to the mid and the tweeter from their appropriate outputs on the crossover and you're golden. Since you already have an aftermarket HU I would suggest running new wires from the HU to the crossovers. That will make it easier to connect a real amp to them at a later date if you so choose. I figure if you're going to have to run wires anyway, may as well take care of the tough stuff now.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member
darklink is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. The Alpine SPS-610C's actually have a crossover built into the line that runs from the woofer to the tweeter so there is no additional wiring needed there. I have been thinking about running new wire from the power pack to the doors but I dont want to have to take the whole dash out.

When I initially started hooking up the components up front, I wanted to run new wire but couldnt figure out how to correctly feed the wire through the rubber gromet thing that is in between the door and frame of the vehicle. If anyone has an easy way of getting the wires through there and where to locate them once they are pushed through, I will definitely run some new wires.