Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

RCA question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RCA question

I live close to a circuit city and if you guys havent heard they are going out of business. Anyway they are selling all of their component cables that they used to hook up all of their tvs on display. They have a few different lengths that are fairly cheap. Im wondering if these will work for my amps. Not sure on the brand but they were 75 ohm comercial grade cables. There is 5ch per cable. 3 for video(red, green, blue) and 2 for audio. Im not sure if theses cables would be sheilded or not so hopefully someone on here will know. I would think they would be.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
flyinquack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: RCA question

i remember working on this huge mansion, and the AV guys were pulling spools of component cable. i was interested so i looked at it and noticed that the video(red blue and green) was smaller than the audio in terms of AWG. im not sure if this matters or not since i dont know so much about audio crap. they were shielded though. also be careful. it was on the news and in the paper about liquidators actually costing more than other stores. they might be on sale, but thats because the liquidators bought everything, marked it all up for resale, and then put the 25% sticker on it, so it may have been cheaper than when they were open.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM

does anyone else have any input

Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't buy anything from circuit city's going out of business "sale" I have yet to see a single item at their "40-60%% off" that could not be had for half the cost at "full price" a block away, add in the hundreds of complaints online from people that bought different items that cannot be returned due to the liquidation sale (tv's with smashed screens, ps3/wii/xbox 360 games that were put in a shredder/had names/words/initials carved into them) no thanks i'll stick with a store that I can trust and circuit city now more than ever is not that store.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM

its not something they normally sold in their store. They are selling all the cables they used to hook up their display tvs. All they have left is shelving, misc cables, and some odds and ends

Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, did you say 75ohm RCA cable? These are designed to transfer RF energy, not audio signals. This is coax, normally used for video and cable companies. You can find 50ohm coax used on CB radio's and amateur radio equipment. So DON'T use the coax for speaker runs. You will have a transformer mismatch.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 AM

ok thanks. Thats what i needed to know