Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Signal Strength Issues

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Signal Strength Issues

Well I took out my dvd reciver out of the dash today to wire the parking brake wire up to a toggle switch so that I can watch DVDs without having to have the PB on. Well that went great, but when I put everything back in and turn on my favorite radio station I noticed it had a lot harder time coming in where it usually would come in just fine. It fades in out like you can hear the station for 1 second and then it fades out for a second. What would cause this?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Signal Strength Issues

check to see if your antenna wire connection came loose. Also check to see that the parking wire ground you just made is a proper ground (with a DMM).

Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

o can u show me how u made the switch ive been wanting to make one but have trougle finding plans

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

Well I took out my dvd reciver out of the dash today to wire the parking brake wire up to a toggle switch so that I can watch DVDs without having to have the PB on. Well that went great, but when I put everything back in and turn on my favorite radio station I noticed it had a lot harder time coming in where it usually would come in just fine. It fades in out like you can hear the station for 1 second and then it fades out for a second. What would cause this?

Make sure you tape up your antenna adapter where it meets the factory plug. The GM adaptors arent very secure and like to pop out when you slide the radio back in...Other than that like Bobditts stated, make sure you have a solid ground connection for both the brake wire and the deck itself...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What if the connection is great and it's not his ground? Could there just be a weak FM signal from the antenna? Is there any kind of signal amplifier like for your house cable connection or anything?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

What if the connection is great and it's not his ground? Could there just be a weak FM signal from the antenna? Is there any kind of signal amplifier like for your house cable connection or anything?

From what I understand he has clear signal before installation of the new radio, and maybe even clear signal before adding the parking brake switch. So it seems to me that it would have something to do with the aftermarket deck or wiring...

They do make a few 12volt FM signal amplifiers that can add around 15db strength gain, but I have never found one to beuseful inside the city or surrounding area...

Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I took the parking wire from the deck and lead it into the toggle switch then I had another wire going to a solid iron ground. It works great. I also cut the Illum (orange) wire and just left it as it is. The only thing I could think of was if I had the antena running next to a power line or is just in a bad spot.