Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Single 10" dvc and 2 12" dvc ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road
Default Single 10" dvc and 2 12" dvc ?'s

I just bought a TREO 10" dvc sub 2 ohm and when I connect the voice coils in parallel taking it to 1 ohm it cuts out then works fine when I run them on the same channel. Should I keep it parallel to one channel or run each coil to separate channels?

Also I have 2 12" dvc 4 ohm subs should I run all the coils in parallel and bridge it or do each seperate subs parallel then one to one channel the other to the other channel? Or run them seperate but together bridged?

Oh the 12's are RE AUDIO

I know it sounds confusing but I can't find anything I am asking about anywhere.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
guitar134 is on a distinguished road

your post is hard to read.

sounds to me like your dropping below the amps impedence capability's. never run separate coils on different channels. each sub should have its own channel. make sure your amp can handle 1 and 2 ohm loads

hope this is what you were asking

Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Both coils go to the same ch on the amp.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I agree, it's not really clear exactly what you're trying to do in the information you've stated so far.

Are you trying to connect all three subs to the same amplifier?

What model amp/amps are you trying to connect these to?

As previously stated these ohm loads may not be supported by the amplifier you're trying to connect them to, especially if you're trying to connect them all together. If you are trying to connect them all together, why? The addition of that 10 to those 12's isn't going to make a difference that is very audible in output and it's sure not going to help your bass response at all.

Slow down, answer a few of these questions, then we can help you get on the right track.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Scrap the 10, put the 12s. Make sure you have a 2ohm stable amp, then series the voice coils on each channel for a 2 ohm load. Done.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Scrap the 10, put the 12s. Make sure you have a 2ohm stable amp, then series the voice coils on each channel for a 2 ohm load. Done.
Sorry, that would be parallel.

Series = (4+4) = 8

Parallel = 1/((1/4)+(1/4)) = 2 OR 2/4 = 2 ohms

Series they add, like multiple AA batteries in a device to equal 3v, 4.5v, 6v, etc.

In parallel circuits if the value of the resistance for each load is the same (i.e. 4 ohm voice coils on a sub) then you divide the resistance of the loads by the total number of loads in the circuit. The other way, dividing by one, also works on those, but is needed when the resistance for the loads is different.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM

No I was not putting them all together they are going in seperate vehicles.

Then 10 in her car and the 12's in my blazer.

The TREO 10 is 2 ohm and I connected the + together and the - together and it started cutting out so what I am thinking is the amp is not 1 ohm stable in bridged mode.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jasongr81
No I was not putting them all together they are going in seperate vehicles.

Then 10 in her car and the 12's in my blazer.

The TREO 10 is 2 ohm and I connected the + together and the - together and it started cutting out so what I am thinking is the amp is not 1 ohm stable in bridged mode.
I don't think you're connecting it correctly at all. You shouldn't have any need to connect the + and - together on anything but the sub from the - of one voice coil to the + of the second.

You should be connecting the voice coils and amp like this for a 1 ohm load.

However, if you're using a two channel amp and you're trying to bridge that amp you cannot hook it up as shown above. There are only a handful of amps on the market that are 1 ohm stable bridged and they're NOT very affordable at all. Using a two channel amp you'll have to connect one voice coil to each channel OR hook the sub up in series for a 4 ohm final load then hook it up to the amp bridged, like this.

Now, if you need any further help with it just ask but I think this will get you headed in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails Single 10" dvc and 2 12" dvc ?'s-1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif   Single 10" dvc and 2 12" dvc ?'s-1_2ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif  
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 AM

If you guys would actually read my post it says I connected the + together AND the - together not the + connected to the -. I do know that. I was just asking why it would cut out and if there was a better way if hooping it up since I can't run it parallel at 1 ohm. Like each 1 coil to 1 channel and the other coil to the other channel. I am not an idiot trying to connect all the + and - together.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 AM

What amp are you connecting it to? That will help in ensuring we are giving you the right information.

I gave you perfectly good examples of how it can be connected in the pictures above. If parallel isn't an option then connect it in series, you can do that bridged on the amp with a 4 ohm load or connect each coil to each channel of the amp if it is indeed a 2 channel amp. Either option should work just fine.

Also, don't get cocky because we can't quite understand exactly what you're doing. Even veterans who've been doing this for decades make basic connection mistakes from time to time. It happens, we're all human and it's not always easy to read an explanation and know exactly what it is the person is doing.

Do you have a DMM or ohm meter? It might be a good idea to measure the coils on the sub and verify that they're both reading the same and good as well. You didn't mention if the sub is used or new. New I wouldn't worry much about it but when used it's always a good idea to check and be sure.