Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

P.I.T.A. Stereo Removal, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:11 PM
drifts14x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P.I.T.A. Stereo Removal, Questions

Ok, so I'm not a newbie at this, but I am new to this truck. I have a 1996 2DR Blazer. I am running the Pioneer DEHP77DHR, the 1.5DIN Head Unit (came with the truck) and I have subs I need to install. Here's the deal though, I tried taking out the unit...Popped the trim loose, loosened the bolts that were holding it to the dash, but the cage is too big, and the unit doesnt want to slide out for some reason or another, and the cage is too big to come out of the opening in the trim. Of course, I can't seem to take the trim off without dropping the steering column, which is a PITA. So, is there any way to take the trim off w/o breaking it and w/o dropping the column, or some kind of access that i can get to the back to run my remote start and RCA cables, or do i need to set aside a nice 2 hours again to take the dash apart?

Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: P.I.T.A. Stereo Removal, Questions

it does not take that long to remove dash. take the two 7mm screws out above steering wheel. start on either side of the dash panel, and pull it out. remove all attached wiring harnesses, lights, dimmer, and such. then on other side, if you have 4wd, remive plug on that side too, Now last step is harder if you do not have tilt steering. either way, if you do, drop all the way down. grab the peice that is in front of the dash cluster, and flex it up. don't get crazy, but you can flex it up enough to clear the hazard switch. I have done this action at least a hundred times and I have never cracked or broken the panel or the hazard switch.