Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo Wiring and Install Parts

Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM
steven Dougherty is on a distinguished road

do you have the coades to a 1997 blazer s10 for a after market deck and the colors?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
cozmo311x is on a distinguished road
Default factory harness is gone

i have a 99 blazer LS,whats the colors to hook up a cd player and subs? please help!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cozmo311x
i have a 99 blazer LS,whats the colors to hook up a cd player and subs? please help!
Everything is on the first pages guys. Take a minute to write it down or print it and take it and a case of beer to your truck and go.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Starting Member
Nailz75 is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 ZR2 stereo probs

SOS!

trying to wire up a Sony aftermarket HU.......looking at factory harness to factory radio there are 15 leads....1 orange, 1 black, 1 yellow, 1 lite blue, 2 dark blue, 2 grey, 1 tan, 4dark green, 1 lite green, and what looks like a brown. Any help?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 PM

First page will help a hell of a lot!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member
Awesome is on a distinguished road

Hey, I've got a 97 Blazer now and it has no dash speakers. Would it be worth it trying to wire a pair in? How would I go about it, anyways? I don't see a wiring harness for the speakers under the blank plates.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM

I would be pretty simple. Only hard part would be routing the wiring to the stereo. But If you are going to do that, you would probably get 100x better sound with components. Put tweeters in the dash and the mid in the door. That also makes it easier for routing since you would just have to go to the foot wells (or where ever you mount your crossover).

Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
JoshWho is on a distinguished road

I noticed this thread has kinda died within the last month. So I hope I can get some help asap!

First, wanna state that I am new. This is my first thread on this forum. I'm from Spfd, MO. I'm more of a car person than SUV+. But I need some help for a friend. And I could not find my answer any where else. I searched and read every comment on here and did not find the proper information. So hopefully I can have answers by the morning at least...

Anyways. My problem is as follows:

So I thought I'd take on a project and help a friend install a "simple" sound system into her 2004 Chevy S-10 Blazer. It is not as simple as I thought it would be for something American... Anyways.

Parts I bought:
CD player is a JVC KD-S37.
Wiring harness is a Metra 70-2003.

Not sure the amp or sub as they have already been placed and I just ran the wires. Was unable to bypass the firewall because I couldn't find the grommet as I saw posted somewhere else. So I went another route.
But that's not important...

All the wires are hooked up properly. The factory harness meets the Metra just fine. And the colour coded wires match perfectly to the JVC wires. Well I checked, double checked, even triple checked to make sure all the wires are hooked up properly. I don't have the subs or the amp plugged in yet. The door speakers and the back speakers are still stock. They are in fine working condition.

The problem is that when I attach the ground wires, the cd player will light up but not display anything, just the colour of the background and the buttons, then shut off after a few seconds. I pushed the eject button and it displays "Eject". So I tried putting a cd in and it displayed "Loading". But after each of those displays, the cd player turns off. I hit the "Display" button and it will show the time starting at 1:00. Stay on for a few seconds, then shut off again. No sound comes through the speakers. No buttons work except for the Display and Eject button. I tried using the remote (cd player came with one) and it doesn't help.
The cd player was bought brand new from Walmart. The Metra harness was purchased directly through the instal guys from Best Buy. Because we couldn't find it anywhere from out front.

Can anyone help me figure out what this problem is?
Or if anyone is close to Springfield, I can meet up with you or PM you where to meet me at so you can help me figure this out.

Any information will help!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM

It sounds like a bad ground. Try grounding it somewhere on the vehicle. It take a bit of twisting hands and scraped fingers to find a good bolt to use but make sure its a good spot. Try that and let me know!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 AM
JoshWho is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zedartwo
It sounds like a bad ground. Try grounding it somewhere on the vehicle. It take a bit of twisting hands and scraped fingers to find a good bolt to use but make sure its a good spot. Try that and let me know!
Grounded it to a bolt that's under the glove box.

But we have switched from JVC to a Sony Xplode. The bad part about that is that the Sony doesn't have the dimmer wires.

We hooked it up and it doesn't work. I've pretty much figured that it's going to end up being a short in one of the wires.

Found out that my friend's bf had cut all the factory wires and stripped about a quarter inch. Which is fine. Except he kept the wires exposed and didn't keep them separated. So when they shut off the car and would go to turn it off, the battery was dead. This happened several days/times prior to before they brought it to me.
I'm no expert. But it gave me a chance to work on something. Figured it would be an easy job, but it has now been 5 days.

I was told in my car forum that since I don't have a test light, to use the wires and a light bulb. Did. And none of the wires work...

Kinda wondering if anyone on here is in or near Springfield, MO. It's really hard to give the proper information needed over the internet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring and Install Parts