Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo Wiring and Install Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blumerc
Also I looked at the first post to make sure I had it hooked up right but I have three extra wires that was not mentioned and i do not have onstar. there is a extra dark green, dark blue and a purple/white. do i need to attach anything to those?
I've been looking for the answer to this extra dark green and blue wire that no one seems to mention...does anyone know what they are for?

*** EDIT ***

I found at least part of the answer today. I've been slowly working on putting a new Alpine headunit in and I bought a module to retain my steering wheel controls. Well, I had to hookup that module to one of those wires tonight, so I'm assuming both are associated with steering controls somehow.

Last edited by viper4559; 08-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Check the fuse? I believe its in the dash panel.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 AM
Starting Member
David Shelby is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 Blazer Extreme. I have installed a aftermarket radio in it before and had to buy the door ding...the part for that extra wire and chime cost me a 100 bucks...I have read that you can piggy back the the power wire from the fuse box or maybe the ignition hot wire. I have lost the part I purchased and there's gotta be a better way then spending a 100 bucks again...You seem to know your stuff can you help me out? Is the wiring harness I need 70-2003 (M)? Thank you

Last edited by David Shelby; 10-12-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Believe me. $100 is nothing. The one that I HAVE to buy because my truck has onstar and truck phone. It costs $250.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
ozzman39 is on a distinguished road

I Sorry if this has already been answered i have a 2003 blazer stock rds with a aftermarket HU.It has component speakers tweeters in the dash trying to find were the front door speakers meet the tweeters to tie them into a crossover and put aftermarket speakers in (want to use the wire that's already there)does anyone know were i can find this splicing location?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member
carlspeed is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I'm getting ready to install a stereo into a 2004 S10. I've heard that there is a module that I'm going to need for the truck to still work after I take out the factory head unit. I could see that if the truck had OnStar and the other normal useless crap, but this truck has freaking manual windows. Am I going to HAVE to have that stupid thing, or am I going to be ok if I just hard wire everything instead of using the wiring harness kit (which I've done numerous times).

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Put the key in the ignition open the door and find out where the chime is coming from. If its from the speakers, you need the module. If not then you're probably alright.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

Also check on the radio, if it says RDS on it, chances are you will need the harness. But if your truck is the base model chances are you aren't going to have it because I believe the RDS radio was optional and not standard equipment.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Beginning Member
Norm43920 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hillbillyinOhio

For 2002 up blazers the wiring is as follows:
Radio 12v orange+radio harness
Radio Ground black-radio harness
Radio Ignition dk. green+radio harness
Radio Illumination gray (dimmer)+radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
Power Antenna N/A
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray+,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green+,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow+,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue+,- radio harness

----------
I have 03 Blazer

Im a little confused on 2 wires. Red and Yellow on the new stereo harness Red = Accessory , Connect to Ignition circuit or switched 12 volt source... Yellow = Memory, Connect to battery circuit or constant 12 volt source. I only see " Radio 12v orange+radio harness" In this post so Im wondering where the Memory wire hooks up. I believe in my old car I wired yellow and red together but the radio didn't shut off with the ignition and I dont really wanna do that.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
Norm43920 is on a distinguished road

Disregard my previous post. I found a wiring harness that would fit. had everything done in no time.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring and Install Parts