Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

subs only work when the parking brake is on

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Starting Member
red man 1990 is on a distinguished road
Default subs only work when the parking brake is on

Hey howdy hey guys i am new to the forum so nill just jump right in.

i have a 99 4dr blazer with a 4.3V6 and i just installed 2 sony explode12's and a kenwood 1800 watt mono amp and the only time my subs turn on is when the parking brake is on!!

any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks alot and love the forum

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Shakenbake is on a distinguished road

I'm still pretty new to blazers, and I'm assuming your parking brake is down by your left knee. So, I would probably look at how you routed your wiring for the amp. It's deffinately weird to only work when the parking brake is on. It sounds to me like the parking brake pedal maybe making contact with your wiring somehow. Also, try to notice exactly when the subs start working in relation to how far the parking brake is pressed. It might have something to do with the switch that actuates the parking brake light on the dash cluster.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Yeah, my guess would be that your brake mechanism is interfering with the wiring (assuming you ran it down the drivers side, most do it down the passenger side though) Also, I know that some headunits (generally units with DVD capabilities) by default, require that the parking brake is engaged to ensure you're not watching videos while driving. The switch is the top circle in the picture below. The lower circle is the part that actually moves when the pedal is depressed so it could also cause problems if the wire is in the way

Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

my guess is that the remote wire ran to the amp is connected to the parking break wire.