Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

subwoofer up ports back? any pros-cons in a s-series 4 dr

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally someone that knows both the good mainstream and underground names. I've been leaning towards a couple 15 inch ****'s myself. I will say if you get those get the older model with the all black mounting ring, not the new ones with the black/blue checkerd mounting ring.

Audiopipe makes some good subs as well. I'm surprised MTopper hasn't posted here yet... And ditto on the advancement of car audio. My cousin that got me into it once had two 15inch pa cabinets in the backseat of a 84 mustang convertable. Ha ha but he made up for it, he then ran one of those big ole audiobahn subs that was like 28 inches around in a jeep grand cherokee. First system I had was a set of 8's in a hatchback box from radioshack! Hooked up to the headunit in moms cavilier. First true system was 2 cerwin vega 12's and a crunch amp in her focus when I was 16. We've came along ways, lol.

Last edited by ImScrewed92; 06-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Soooo.... I take it that is Blazinloud's vote for subs up ports back since that is what his box is, lol. Unless he's just whoring out his videos, joking I know he's just showing his opinion on the box build.

So Taba, you gonna stay with your current "moved around" sub box and subs, or still debating on what you want for the new box/subs?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

if i remember correctly it has something to do with the sound bouncing off the hatch glass, which is apparently a good thing......they call it crx style i think.

sound aside....i think it just looks better, another plus is you dont have to worry about stuff rolling around and hitting the subs.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Yeah I figure it would bounce off the back glass and come forewards towards the driver/passengers. X2 on the speaker cones being safe from damage, yet another reason I want mine done like that.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

I think it sounds ok as it sits now (subs up port back)* it certaintly moves alot more stuff around* my only big concern would be a dead front wave between the roof and the sub face.

the CRX has one advantage over our trucks, and thats the back glass pitch or rather the angle. crx's have a steep angle which allows the port side wave to bounce and push through the front wave. i could almost guarantee if i had a way to not only get a one piece back door, but also put a board in place to change the pitch of the reflecting surface it would be way louder via SPL.

new box is def. in the cards, as im shooting for larger air space, its mad loud either up and back or all faced the same direction, so thats not a issue there...

i have been eyeballing the ***** heavily yet the only ones i can find are the blue/black mount ring style.... couple youtube vids still showed that they can get with it pretty well... we'll see lol

id like to tie some things down in the roof department as well, the plastic beauty piece before the roof rack bars is a massive point of vibration, my CAI used to vibrate to the sound because it was rubbing against the wheel well( its fixed as of yesterday) rear wiper, rear glass etc... they all move too much for my liking

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Starting Member

my kids like to feel the air wave coming from the face of the woofers, and they like to watch them "flex"

lol most kids look out the windows and mine look at speaker movement hahaha

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Just wait untill their noses tickle when they breath in when the bass hits and they can watch the winshield wiper arms dance.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

they lean into the middle of the back seat and watch full unopened cans of pop dance in the cup holder. or watch their windows wiggle