Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 05:57 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Some unfortunate events have happened... With all my exams over, at last, I had time to do an oil change on the blazer and I had planned to get a new boot on the cv axle on Tuesday as well. Well, today I decided to go up to the ski hill and have some fun, on my way up there it started driving really bad out of nowhere and suddenly was down bad on power. Made it up to the ski hill and parked the blazer, once parked it had a very weak idle and the engine was bouncing all around. Then I drove it home and somehow it made it home, flashing p0300 at me telling me "PULLOVER AND FIX ME", it would die and shut off when I would get to a red light. Thank goodness it's home now and I should be able to fix it along as I can figure out what's going on. The fuel trims are very negative and I'm getting good fuel pressure so my mind is going towards replacing the spider again with an ACDelco one (replaced a yr ago with off-brand from lordco). Will keep posted on what happens.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:19 PM

Oh, how it pains me to say this. Found some time today to pull the intake off and had a look into the intake manifold through the throttle body, found puddles of gas and it smelled very strong like gas. Pretty much confirms my prior post that something has happened with my one-year-old injectors. Tomorrow hopefully I will take the upper intake manifold off and really see what's going on...Merry Christmas everyone.

EDIT: Picture of pools of gas inside the intake manifold.

Last edited by reway; 12-25-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:30 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Could also be a regulator issue, if they fail spectacularly they can spray fuel out the vacuum inlet.

*edit* didnt notice you already did a pressure check, might be a lower quality of nylon hose the offbrand injectors are using, i managed to get a set of Delco injectors on sale for 204$ a long while back. not sure about current pricing.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I was thinking it could be a regulator issue too it's just so weird because this was all replaced almost exactly a year ago, it should last longer than a year! I will have to take the manifold off tomorrow and hopefully see exactly what went wrong.

Old 12-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reway
Yeah, I was thinking it could be a regulator issue too it's just so weird because this was all replaced almost exactly a year ago, it should last longer than a year! I will have to take the manifold off tomorrow and hopefully see exactly what went wrong.
remove the manifold, hook up the fuel lines and the harness plug and prime the system, any leaks will make themselves evident quickly, just have a few rags on hand.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Oh, how it pains me to say this. Found some time today to pull the intake off and had a look into the intake manifold through the throttle body, found puddles of gas and it smelled very strong like gas. Pretty much confirms my prior post that something has happened with my one-year-old injectors. Tomorrow hopefully I will take the upper intake manifold off and really see what's going on...Merry Christmas everyone.

EDIT: Picture of pools of gas inside the intake manifold.

Oh man. At least you know what is going on.

Also, at least the fix only requires removing the upper plenum and not the intake itself.

Can you find a new spider assembly?

Old 12-25-2021, 07:54 PM

Yeah Christine, it was killing me last night that I didn't really know what was wrong. I couldn't sleep lol. Yes, at least the fix is not too bad once you actually get started, I just messed up last time (a year ago) because I routed one of the plugs the wrong way and sandwiched it when I screwed on the upper manifold, that's when I took it to a shop and had them fix it up for me. So I will make sure not to do that this time!! I am having a hard time finding a Delco spider assembly though seems like they are sold out everywhere, all I'm finding is remans. It's almost pushing me to try and get another one from lordco under warranty.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:00 PM

Oh guys, got the plenum off today and while I was putting the fuel lines back on a fuel nut popped off and went down one of the intake ports. So now I have gotten myself into much more work than I had anticipated unfortunately as it looks like the lower manifold will have to come off too. Tried for a while and can't find the nut just fishing in the port, doesn't help they aren't magnetic either. Tomorrow I will probably start tearing into it more and try to get the lower manifold off. Lesson learned to cover up the intake ports RIGHT AWAY after taking the plenum off. This is going to suck. I'm seeing that when I put the distributor back in I will need to set it using cylinder 1 at TDC, that should be interesting.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Try attaching a skinny hose to a shop vac (duct tape makes a good temporary connection) and see if you can suck it out. If you empty the shop vac first, you'll be able to see if you got it. Bonus points if you use a clear hose.

Hopefully it didn't fall through an open valve. But if it did, you might be able to use the same technique through the spark plug hole.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

If you have not pulled the distributor yet, you can avoid having to do the whole "setting it to TDC" business.

If you record the rotor's position, you can put it back aligned correctly. This is because the number of teeth on the gear is small enough so that it will obviously be correctly orientated or not. The offset will be approximately 30 degrees (I think). I used a sharpie on the distributor body and took pictures.

The only difficulty I had was when the oil pump driveshaft got rotated a bit preventing me from getting the the distributor in with the correct orientation. I used a long flat blade screwdriver to rotate it back so that when I dropped it in, it would engage it and be correctly orientated.

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build