Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 06:59 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Much appreciated Don.

Success at last! Was able to get everything buttoned up today and get the tires back on. Out of all things the sway bar did not want to go back on - Had a really hard time getting the new links on. But it’s all together at last! Alignment is really messed up and the front is a decent bit higher than the rear right now. I hope I am able to fix it some tomorrow.

I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to start the rear end tomorrow or not. I need to drop the gas tank again and flip the shackles because first timer me but the dang shackles in the wrong way!! The shackles are riding on the frame right now - not good. While I do that I will either go down to the bottom hole in those shackles or switch to the shackles that came in the rc kit, whatever provides more lift.

Edit: I want to thank Don and Christine for the pointers while I was installing the kit, it was a big help. And finally a big thanks to my mom for getting the stuff I needed to finish it!

Last edited by reway; 11-10-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:13 PM

Fixed up the alignment the best I could do a few days ago and took it for a test spin on the trails with my friends! Went really good. I finally got to work with the rear end today and finished that up, minus the sway bar bracket. Started raining too hard. Decided to just go down to the lower bolt hole in the shackles that are already on. I still need to flip the shackles but that’s a job for later this week as my gas tank is still half full - too heavy to drop. I wanted to get this done before since it goes in for an alignment on Tuesday and the ride height shouldn’t change much or at all after I flip the shackles.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Is the *** sitting higher then the front? Assuming that's installed on the lower hole?

If you do towing, or load up your blazer with enough crap, you'll notice it sit more level when so. I installed an add a leaf on the rear of mine originally to remove the backwards arch from the leafs, but it has helped more with keeping the blazer level while towing my 3000+ lbs tent trailer lol. Sits basically level.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:11 PM

Yeah with my driveway measurements it’s sitting pretty level right now, about 1/4” higher in the back. Not sure if I will leave it or level it out completely because as you said when I put stuff in the back it will level it out, have to decide on that tomorrow.

Edit: Plus with the bolt in the lower hole it will now stop rattling on my exhaust pipe all the time!!

Last edited by reway; 11-14-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:28 PM

Took it to the shop today and I am very happy to say they were finally able to get the alignment in spec again!! They left the rear a bit higher than the front so when I load stuff in the back it will sit pretty much level. It drives REALLY nice now on the roads! The only problem I’m left with is that darn passenger cv axle now, it was still slinging grease after I put the new clamp on. So I got the shop to put a new crimp style clamp on today and it didn’t even last until I made it home, the clamp is now totally off the boot and just hanging on the inner part of the cv axle. So I’m going back to the shop Thursday and hopefully they can fix it up for good.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:20 PM

So... I tried to get the boot back on last night before heading to the shop, even jacked up the lca while the front was on jack stands and couldn't get the boot back on. Took it to the shop and they couldn't either. So that left me no choice but to go get a neoprene boot and pull the axle. I decided to bring the cv axle to my shop and have them put the new boot on for me, to my surprise they didn't charge me anything for that. Got the axle back in and things are looking good now just need to button everything up! Haha that was just a joke. While I was in tearing apart the passenger side I looked over at the driver side to find it's doing the same thing now - slinging grease from the inner boot. So I will need to do the same thing to the ds cv axle in the near future too. I would have done it now too but I scooped up the last neoprene boot in my city right now! All I have to say is Christine, I should have just listened to you anyways and replaced both the damn boots while I had the axles out in the first place!

Old 11-19-2021, 01:01 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
So... I tried to get the boot back on last night before heading to the shop, even jacked up the lca while the front was on jack stands and couldn't get the boot back on. Took it to the shop and they couldn't either. So that left me no choice but to go get a neoprene boot and pull the axle. I decided to bring the cv axle to my shop and have them put the new boot on for me, to my surprise they didn't charge me anything for that. Got the axle back in and things are looking good now just need to button everything up! Haha that was just a joke. While I was in tearing apart the passenger side I looked over at the driver side to find it's doing the same thing now - slinging grease from the inner boot. So I will need to do the same thing to the ds cv axle in the near future too. I would have done it now too but I scooped up the last neoprene boot in my city right now! All I have to say is Christine, I should have just listened to you anyways and replaced both the damn boots while I had the axles out in the first place!
Just so you know, I take no pleasure in finding out I was correct. LOL

Now when the next person asks about doing a suspension lift, you and I both and assure them that changing out the boots while they have the axles removed is a good idea.

And by the way, I am glad you caught the loose boot before the CV joint itself got contaminated!

Old 11-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road

Hello, ive been lurking, reading all about ur build. Can i ask about ur torsion bar install..
I rebuilt everything on my 97 4x4, marking the torsion bar b4 pulling them out.. now, i think previous owner had moved it..
is there a spec sheet for original placement to stock height???
lower ball joint has a terrible angle entering spindle.

drivers side is fine.. Passenger side has issue

Old 11-20-2021, 12:18 AM

Yes definitely Christine, I shot myself in the foot there unfortunately but that’s the fun in doing things for the first time, I know for next time now!

Wow, that suspension setup is looking nice!! I looked for the specs you are referring to and could not find them anywhere. I’m sure the specs are out there somewhere, or you could also take in in to your shop and they should be able to help you out. When I put the torsion bars back in mine I just adjusted them until it looked about right then drove straight down to the shop and had them align it properly and level it out.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:59 AM

I totally forgot to put this in the last post so here I am.. got the blazer buttoned up this morning and took it out for a drive around my city and was pleased to see no grease anywhere and the boot still on when I got back home. Now just need to do the ds in a few weeks and I will be all set! Oh right.. spark plugs and wires too…and an oil change…

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build