Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 12:36 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Yeah Christine, luckily my mom got me a nice thick fleece pair of coveralls for Christmas so those have been keeping me warm while I work. I also have a pair of work gloves a little thicker than the nitrile ones. Those nitrile ones really rip so easily! Guys, I can't even make this stuff up. I got the plenum off this morning to find a huge pool of gas right under the regulator. So now I'm gonna hook the fuel lines back up and get out my fuel pressure gauge and see what I can do. It's not the best news but at least I have found what looks to be my problem and I have some motivation again that I'll be able to fix this thing.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:29 PM

Okay, I got the fuel lines back on and primed the system, to my surprise it wasn't leaking out of the regulator but looks to be coming from the very bottom of the spider! I guess from here the only thing I can do is take the whole thing back out and take it down to lordco, I will wait a bit to do that. Here is a video of when I pressurized the fuel system with the plenum off, I would love all your thoughts.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Okay, I got the fuel lines back on and primed the system, to my surprise it wasn't leaking out of the regulator but looks to be coming from the very bottom of the spider! I guess from here the only thing I can do is take the whole thing back out and take it down to lordco, I will wait a bit to do that. Here is a video of when I pressurized the fuel system with the plenum off, I would love all your thoughts. https://youtu.be/kteihzFp-fc
Dang, that sure is not right!

At least you have an idea of what is going on. One of my favorite sayings is "A well understood problem is a problem half-solved."

My first thought is that there may be an issue with the attachment of the spider "legs" to the central body. What brand of spider is it?

Old 01-02-2022, 02:20 PM

Yeah, it's definitely a big win for me that I found the problem, it's a BWD #63885. This was my first thought as well with what's going on as I can't see the legs being cracked especially in that area because it comes with those 90 degrees bends out of the central body and I didn't have to bend the lines anymore in that area, I was also super careful installing it. I will have to take the spider back out and have a look at it.

EDIT: Just called up Lordco and explained what's going on, they said they will have another unit in by 9 am tomorrow. So I'll go get to pulling the spider back out and hopefully, this new one doesn't leak and I will finally be back on my way.

Last edited by reway; 01-02-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:04 PM

Got the spider pulled out, all of the injectors popped out pretty easy but one, the tube popped off the injector. The injector was really stuck in there, after fiddling around for a bit I grabbed a set of pliers and gave it a yank out. Luckily it all came out, I don't really like popping these out because of all the horror stories I've read about with these new style injectors, it is not uncommon for everything to come out then the tip stays stuck in making the tip hard to pull out. Thankfully that didn't happen today, taking a look at the bottom of the spider I could see where the tubes connect into the spider and it was all wet with gas so most likely it's coming from there. Fingers are crossed that I will be good to go tomorrow with a new spider.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member
woody80z28 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that spider is why mine is running like junk. They're so expensive it makes me wanna just LS swap it. haha

Old 01-03-2022, 09:08 PM

Well, I got a new spider today under warranty and got it put in, did a fuel pressure test before putting everything back on and it wasn't leaking so I hooked everything back up. Went to start it and it turned right over pretty much but it was still running rough and misfiring, said 'huh' to myself and went for it again, it again started right up but was just running rough and misfiring still. So I took the plenum off again and just went over everything making sure the injectors were routed correctly and I primed the system again twice to look for any leaks and found none. Did a pressure test and it holds pressure well, I am kind of stumped now. I think tomorrow morning I will just let it run for a few minutes and see if I can get it to pop a code, I only let it run for not even a minute probably each time I started it because of the bad gas smell in the exhaust. I have double-checked my plug wires routing, the rotor went in lining up with my markings on the rotor and on the firewall, and I've checked over the spider routing and checked it for leaks. Hopefully, I can get something from my code reader tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by woody80z28
I'm pretty sure that spider is why mine is running like junk. They're so expensive it makes me wanna just LS swap it. haha
Oh my gosh I know, such a pain. I just want to get rid of the spider injectors forever and never have to see them again!!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:15 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Dang!

I wish I could come up with a suggestion to help you.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:01 PM

Yesterday when I did a fuel pressure test I noticed the pressure was a little low so I grabbed the specs this morning and did another one. It seems like the regulator is set to 55 or 56psi because that's all I'm getting at the port which is indeed a little low but it seems to start right up so I'm not too worried about that for now... Starting it back up after I put it all together it still ran badly (obviously) so I was a bit stumped here, all I had was a very rich smelling exhaust to go off because it still won't throw a code but if it did I'm almost sure it would be a random miss. Now I had the idea of starting it and seeing what the fuel pressure was with it started. So I did this and found once I started it, it would stay jumping between 50 and 60psi. Now I am no expert with these things by any means but I have done a little reading. I understand that at idle, high vacuum, the regulator should decrease the fuel pressure. While accelerating, low vacuum, it increases fuel pressure. Here it seems that it is not decreasing the fuel pressure while I'm at idle (staying jumping between 50-60psi) which would also be conclusive as to why I'm smelling that strong gas smell from the exhaust because my engine is receiving way too much gas! I would love any thoughts you guys have about this. I don't really know where to go from here.

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build