Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Yesterday when I did a fuel pressure test I noticed the pressure was a little low so I grabbed the specs this morning and did another one. It seems like the regulator is set to 55 or 56psi because that's all I'm getting at the port which is indeed a little low but it seems to start right up so I'm not too worried about that for now... Starting it back up after I put it all together it still ran badly (obviously) so I was a bit stumped here, all I had was a very rich smelling exhaust to go off because it still won't throw a code but if it did I'm almost sure it would be a random miss. Now I had the idea of starting it and seeing what the fuel pressure was with it started. So I did this and found once I started it, it would stay jumping between 50 and 60psi. Now I am no expert with these things by any means but I have done a little reading. I understand that at idle, high vacuum, the regulator should decrease the fuel pressure. While accelerating, low vacuum, it increases fuel pressure. Here it seems that it is not decreasing the fuel pressure while I'm at idle (staying jumping between 50-60psi) which would also be conclusive as to why I'm smelling that strong gas smell from the exhaust because my engine is receiving way too much gas! I would love any thoughts you guys have about this. I don't really know where to go from here.
Your comment prompted a memory of others with issues with bad idles; vacuum leak! I.e., in the process of getting back together perhaps the injectors are working correctly with something else at fault.

Have you double checked that all of your lines are connected and not damaged? I think I recall a person who had forgotten to hook up the PCV hose to the back of the air-inlet to the engine that caused some very noticeable problems. But I don't have to tell you there is a good number of other vacuum lines that need to be hooked up although the smaller ones I don't think would necessarily cause a very over rich mixture. These smaller vacuum lines that operate the HVAC actuators and the 4wd system tend to rot and leak at about 15 years old.

I'd recheck everything to do with air supply to the engine including all of the emission related connections in the engine compartment.

The main lesson is to diagnose best you can and try not to assume too much. I.e., "A well-understood problem is a problem half-solved."

Just last fall I failed to follow my own advice and spent days tracking down what I thought was issues with my wiring harness for my door lock all the way back to my rear lift-gate only to discover it was due to me not reconnecting all of the electrical plugs for the security system properly. Argh.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:56 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Okay, yesterday when I took off the plenum again after I installed the spider to double-check everything I forgot to relieve the fuel pressure before taking the fuel lines off so I had some excess gas spray at the top of the plenum. Once I had the plenum off I saw puddles of gas but I could not rule out that it may have been from taking the lines off. Today I took the plenum off again and relieved the fuel pressure before popping the lines out. Still gas everywhere in my intake. Puddles of it, it can even be seen on the plenum a lot too. I also cleaned out all the gas I could before I put the plenum back on last night, so this tells me all the gas must be coming from somewhere in the spider again?!?!?!? I am so confused right now because I primed the system a few times with this spider with the plenum off and fuel lines connected and could see no leaks. But I put it together and try to start it and end up with gas all over inside. I called my shop today as I was ready to throw in the towel and just have it fixed again but unfortunately, I can't even get in there until next Tuesday.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Okay, yesterday when I took off the plenum again after I installed the spider to double-check everything I forgot to relieve the fuel pressure before taking the fuel lines off so I had some excess gas spray at the top of the plenum. Once I had the plenum off I saw puddles of gas but I could not rule out that it may have been from taking the lines off. Today I took the plenum off again and relieved the fuel pressure before popping the lines out. Still gas everywhere in my intake. Puddles of it, it can even be seen on the plenum a lot too. I also cleaned out all the gas I could before I put the plenum back on last night, so this tells me all the gas must be coming from somewhere in the spider again?!?!?!? I am so confused right now because I primed the system a few times with this spider with the plenum off and fuel lines connected and could see no leaks. But I put it together and try to start it and end up with gas all over inside. I called my shop today as I was ready to throw in the towel and just have it fixed again but unfortunately, I can't even get in there until next Tuesday.
During install of the injection spider, are you using a heat gun to prevent cracking or kinking of the injector hoses? and are they routed the same as the factory? It could be the aftermarket spider having poor quality hoses that require more care to not fray out. as i went with a GM Injection assembly i was able to get away with a slight downward prebend and then let the engine heat cycles do the rest but you may have to manually bend each run, and be careful not to twist or bend the injectors where they connect to the hoses.

Last edited by Mods; 01-04-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

OK, I can't help but think there is definitely something not right with the spider. No fuel should be pooling on the intake. And this is your second one too. Right?

Testing the pressure before you put the plenum is good but there must be something different about also trying to start the truck compared to simply pressurizing the system.

What brand is the spider? Can you get an AC Delco one?

Last edited by christine_208; 01-04-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:48 PM

I used a heat gun to make the tubes easier to bend on the first install but it was not needed this time around because I just kept the spider warm inside until I was ready to put it in and the hoses bent into place easier. The hoses are routed as they should be from what I can see. Yeah, that's correct Christine this is the second new one I have put in now, the only thing I can think of that changes between priming and starting in the fuel system is the regulator starts working with the vacuum in the intake and of course, the injectors all start firing. However, you would think any leaks in the injector tubes would be seen with priming the system with the plenum off, and if there were a faulty injector it wouldn't explain the gas puddles in the intake. I'm looking at the regulator as high probability especially because the puddle of gas is right under it, also on the inside of the plenum, most of the gas was on the back of it and closest to the regulator. I just find it weird that when I prime the system I cant see it leaking out the regulator at all, so I'm not too sure what else I can do to see if it leaks. I do know now at least that something is definitely going on with this new spider again, it would just be nice if I could see it leaking though so I'd know where it's coming from! I just called up the dealership and they confirmed for me that gm discontinued the genuine spider assembly. The spider is a bwd now, I'm not sure if I'm going to try and get another one from lordco or what. It would be nice if I could see it leaking to prove where exactly it's coming from.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran

I think your logic is sound.

I can think of two options to consider:
  • Find the part number for the AC Delco fuel injector spider and search online for one to buy.
  • Find a replacement regulator to install on the spider to see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:05 AM

Thanks Christine, unfortunately, I cannot find the AC Delco 217-3028 (complete spider) anywhere. I've also seen a lot of people saying these bwd injectors (smp injector the same thing) are really good and working even better than the original for them. Not sure how that is possible. I am going to prime the system again this morning to check for leaks again because it's really confusing me that I can't see anything leaking but then I put the plenum on and end up with gas in my intake, it makes no sense. Unless the regulator is only leaking under a vacuum. I do also have a different regulator, I'm not even sure if it's good as it's on my very first spider that I still have that came with the truck when I got it. Something was leaking on that spider too though and I'm not sure if it was the regulator or what. I also made a new post titled "Blazer Spiders From Hell" in engine & transmission, I will most likely be updating what happens there now as this parade has gone on long enough and I really thought my truck would have been up and running again by now.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:22 AM

Well guys, after almost 6 months I am very proud to say the blazer is back on the road again! I ended up pulling the engine out as I bent an exhaust valve and had no compression on one cylinder. I rebuilt the engine and now it's finally back on the road! After enjoying driving around the blazer for a few days, I decided it was time to fix up some of the suspension issues. The first was the rear shackles were installed the wrong way so they were banging on the frame when the suspension would articulate. I swapped those around yesterday (dropping the gas tank just for that ONE bolt) and it feels much nicer now. Next weekend I will pull the driver's cv out and replace the inner boot with a one-piece, I may end up replacing the outer seal as well, I will see about that. Here are some pictures from the rebuild and what I have done lately!

Old 05-24-2022, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran

Great job. You deserve to take pride in a job well-done!

Old 05-24-2022, 08:52 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Heck yeah! So I'm guessing the road test went good.

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build