Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1994 full-size blazer full-convertible

Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member
admathi is on a distinguished road

I didn't weld in extra support under the windshield or dash because I honestly don't do much serious off-roading where there's a chance it would roll. I've thought about welding in a more complete cage welded to the windshild and going through the dash, but that'll prolly be a couple years from now. I'll show y'all my progress with the modular fiberglass hard top I'm working on for it.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
Default modular fiberglass hard top project

Here are several pictures of my fiberglass hard top project. I wanted to make it look like a HMMWV slant back gun truck. I attached a pic for those who don't know what that looks like. I didn't want it to weigh 300lbs though because I couldn't take it on and off by myself. I also thought having a 4 ft truck bed cover would be sweet too like the other configuration of a HMMWV. So I went and bought 8 or 10 8'x4'x1" pieces of foam insulation, wood glue, razors and sand paper. I'd glue them together as needed, cut, sand, fill with foam gap sealer, and repeat. After I got the whole pink foam mold made, I covered the entire thing in aluminum foil because fiberglass resin eats foam like heat melts butter. Then I slowly glassed the pieces inside and out, layer after layer, until I made my own slant back, bed cover, cab, and extended cab. The cab and extended cab can be put on individually or together with or without the back glass part. Then you can add the bed cover or the slant back if you want. This whole thing took several thousand dollars and all available spare time from September to February. When I took a hiatus in Feb, it was all done except the sanding, bondo, paint, and weather stripping. Sorry there are only a few pics. Eventually I'll upload a video walk-around to youtube and vids driving. It took forever, but it looks really cool and will look even better. I plan to put this on and leave it on in cold weather. Unfortunately, it took me all winter to make this and I didn't get it done in time to use it. I'm not tired of the project. Just taking time to reflect, plan, and enjoy driving the vert as is right now. Let me know if y'all have questions or suggestions. Sorry these pics aren't the greatest, but my battery was dead for a long time on the blazer so I couldn't move it, not to mention I had the various stages of the top on it. It's hard to show the whole project in 13 pics, but it's what I got. This wasn't supposed to be a build thread; I was just doing it to see if I could and because I thought it'd be awesome. When I finish the top totally, I'll take better pics.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-1.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-2.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-3.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-4.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-5.jpg  

1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-6.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-7.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-8.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top9.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-10.jpg  

1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-11.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top-12.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hard-top13.jpg   1994 full-size blazer full-convertible-hummer__h1_military_slantback_1985_3_lgw.jpg  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:15 AM
Starting Member
flawedmess is on a distinguished road

I like what you did. You got me to thinking about it I have a 94 stock but 230k . Maybe check out a 68-72 chevy blazer fiberglass Top ? Not familiar with them myself but might give ideas in regards to what the engineers at the factory engineered for "removable top"" .
When I think of a blazer for some reason I think removable top even though the removable top was very brief.
Same with the scout and the bronco all started with removable and changed to hardtops. Probably deadly if you roll and I have had unreal scares in my blazer. Short length makes a swerve dangerous. Big animals on highway at night cannot say never.
The wind and noise would be hard for me personally to to deal with but I am old.
I like what you did,

Old 12-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Russtache is on a distinguished road

The full vert hardtop on my '74 was a beast to deal with, weighed megatons.
I think it was engineered to do double duty as a bass boat.
I just rigged a pully system to the garage ceiling to lift it and drive out from under it.
Once I switched to a soft top (Kayline) I never went back.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

As this thread is from 2013, I'm wondering how the project ended up.....

edit:

also, he was last on 2 minutes after that last post of his.... so dont think we will get an update...

Old 12-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member
Default Update

It can haul 4 kayaks and 4 ppl.

I have a hammock stand trailer hitch for camping.

​​​​​

I never finished the hard top project. It just didnt turn out as nice as I wanted. I haven't abandoned the idea, but as I'm sure you understand, life got in the way. My next iteration of the hard top, I think I am going to get a real Blazer hardtop and use it as a mold. I moved a couple times, had a couple kids, etc. In 2016, I removed the vinyl wrap and painted the whole thing with Raptor-liner. Put in LED tails, made a hammock stand for the trailer hitch, got some new wheels. I have an LS ready to go in this spring because I'm bored with the 350 TBI. I will probably leave it N/A and just do a cam, springs, intake, exhaust 4.8l. I've really just been driving it and enjoying it, but I still have it and am tinkering with it as I get time. It's one of those that will never be done. Thanks for asking about it.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I wasnt expecting this! Thanks for the update tho! Glad to hear shes still going strong either way. That hard top wouldve been a sight to see... I like the bedliner paint job too...

Old 12-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member
Default Couple more pics.

Here is a better side view. I have black wheels now, but I drive it all the time.

I put a ton of work and money into that hard top. In the end, I just roll with a soft top and some roll bar padding...aka pool noodles. I watch Full Custom Garage religiously and Ian Roussel gave me some ideas about how to use a Blazer hardtop as a mold one day.

I still get on this forum and look around, I guess I just haven't logged on in a long time. Forgive me for my perceived absence; I'm still around learning from you guys.