Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1995 Chevy Blazer project

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Great project! It's going to be one super clean blazer.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
MountainDew is on a distinguished road

Thanks, chevyriders!
This is going to be the wifes ride, she says she doest want any dirty parts on it She should have close to a brand new one when Im done.
Still trying to decide what color, we were thinking the factory Cherry Red, but Im trying to talk her into all black.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Starting Member

Well a little update and its bad news. I found a crack in the transmission case.

When the transmission was in the old blazer it had a tiny leak from the transmission cooler lines, so when I took it apart I noticed both lines were plenty tight enough so I thought it was leaking around the brass adapter that threads into the transmission which the transmission cooler lines thread into the brass adapter. So I wanted to check to brass adapters to see if they were leaking, removed the bottom one no problem, when I went to remove the top one it was really tight, so I removed it put some sealer on it and when I went to tighten it I noticed something was wrong and a close inspection I could see a hairline crack. Check the pictures out. I went from having a good time to seeing red.

the crack is right above my fingernail, right on that casting seem.

So do I try to tig weld it? Im going to pass on tig welding it, I could but since I have another transmission Im going to pull all the new guts out of the cracked transmission and put those into the good case thats not cracked.

And check this out. Both transmissions are the same year 1995, suppose to be the same. Well it seems funny where the one transmission case is cracked it just so happens to be different between the two. Check out these pictures.

Cracked case

Not cracked, notice no casting web.

So now I get to take everything back apart and do it all over.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

At least you didn't put it in and start driving it and then notice it. That would have been much worse.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Starting Member

Tajohns34 right on man. It sucked... but at the same time I'm happy it happened now.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Starting Member

Im back where I was before I found the crack in the transmission and I got the fuel lines done, transmission lines done, power steering lines done, rear brake line done. Im almost ready to set the body back down on the frame.

Old fuel lines

New fuel lines, nylon with quick connects.

Switched all fuel lines to nylon, no more RUST

Used copper nickle for the vent line.

Stainless steel transmission lines from Summit Racing. Notice the nuts are not stainless. Why would they put regular nuts on a stainless line, makes no sense to me.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Very nice build.

I'd love to have your place. No shuttling of parts and cars between places where I have a lift that I can use. Nice and clean work. Love it.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Starting Member

Thanks error_401 In my younger years I had to work just like you said, moving parts around - cars. I use to work in the gravel driveway on ramps. It wasnt much fun especially when you get all set up and it starts to rain

Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Starting Member

Well another pissed off moment for me. So I got to put the body on the frame so this means once again I could lift the frame body all at once on the lift. So I have it up in the air having a look around and son of a mother trucker. THE FRAME IS CRACKED

and on the other side of the bracket

So today I get to remove the front dif and weld up some cracks. I have seen a lot of blazers with the frame cracked around the front dif mounts but man o man how did I miss this crack 50 hours ago.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Just read this build. I would love to do a body off restoration of my blazer like you are doing. Maybe someday. That blazer will be better than brand new from all the work and parts you are doing to it. Should make the wife pretty happy lol. I'll be watching this build for updates. Keep up the good work!!

Quick Reply: 1995 Chevy Blazer project