Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1995 Chevy Blazer project

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 AM
Starting Member
MountainDew is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Chevy Blazer project

So I have these two 1995 Chevy Blazers.

The Tan Blazer I have owned since 2002 or so. My wife drove this for her winter car and here in the rust belt, it didn't take long for it to rust out. It has 225,000 miles or so on the odometer. Back in 2012 I put a new GM crate motor in it and I had the Transmission rebuilt. Once I got the engine and transmission out I noticed the frame had a crack in it from rust under the driver's side so I welded in a patch. 2015 the driver's door started to have problems closing took a look around and the body mount under the drivers front was rusted gone, so I welded a piece of steel in direct from the body to the frame. That patch lasted a little while but now the passenger side is toast and the front drivers door pillar has rusted so bad the door will not close unless you hulk smash it.
So looking around I found the Cherry Red 1995 Blazer. Picked it up for 500.00. I could not hear it run, it had a gas leak really bad. I looked it over really well the body and frame (thats what I was mainly after) looked good and solid for the most part. So I bought it.
Would also like to mention I knew I had to find a 1995 otherwise the engine swap would have turned into a major nightmare. So it took time to find this 1995 that wasn't rusted to pieces. I also wanted to find one with the leather interior package, fully loaded and Im thinking this is pretty close to being fully loaded.
Started tearing the Cherry Red blazer down getting ready to swap the engine and transmission and right off the bat I noticed we had a problem and is how I found this forum. The Cherry red blazer has a crank sensor wth?? and the distributor is different, I thought since both was a 1995 8th digit in the vin is a W it would be the same. Hahaha yeh right...... Went to the Chevy garage and talked to my parts buddy, sure enough, two different ignition systems. But both engines have the same crank shaft so I had to take the reluctor and the timing chain cover from the one engine and add them to my good engine. Well here is a video going over what I had to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdfo...ature=youtu.be
So I pull the engine, transmission transfer case and fuel tank in the Red Blazer. After getting all that out of the way Im looking around and noticed the frame where the body mounts attach, I noticed the two under the driver side and passenger side were worn through or they rusted thin exactly where the rubber cushions touched. So I start to check out the other frame mounts and darn it I found a couple more same way.
So now what? Do I try to weld these frame mounts upside down or since I have most everything else removed just raise the body up..... hmmmm
Off with the body!!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:36 AM
Starting Member
Default Fixing the frame body mounts

I welded stainless steel to replace the rotten damaged frame body mounts.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 AM
Starting Member
Default Frame done

I usually sandblast but this time I tried a chemical method. I used a descaler and a wire brush to clean the frame and a lot of degreasing with the power washer.
Then I sprayed on Corroseal which is suppose to kill the rust and primer in one go, they I used Tractor supply paint with a hardener added.

I also decided to switch rear ends out too, so tonight we started that. I also did a video on some of the body work I have done to see what it looks like in a few years from now.

Last edited by MountainDew; 09-19-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Awesome start. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

The frame looks really good. Good work.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Starting Member

Thanks guys,, I hope I can keep you guys interested

Some new updates

Got into an auto accident two days ago so that will slow me down some.

Appliance van blew the stop sign hit me in the rear and spun me out.

<br/>I did manage to paint rear end last night

New push pins and wire loom clips along with some other goodies

New converter showed up a couple hours ago

Gibson Performance Stainless steel exhaust CAT back

Moog rear shackle Lifetime warranty, Motor mounts etc..

New inner fenders, 25.00 a piece RockAuto
New composite headlight with all new adjusters and brackets, 30.00 a piece on Ebay

I also got the new tank in along with the new filler neck.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Starting Member

I also have been recording videos with tips and tricks and other information along the way. I made a playlist on youtube and here she be https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TlDEHnmcBOxb3P

Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Starting Member

Got my rear leaf springs installed, the old..... ball joint tool made easy work of those.

30.00 made me hallar

Last edited by MountainDew; 09-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Starting Member

I got the engine and transmission in, easiest engine and transmission installation ever lol Im trying to imagine how this old chevy blazer went down the GM assembly line, Im sure Ill forget something

Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Starting Member

Almost forgot to mention I got my bumper from Summit Racing, it finally come in, just a factory one.

I also scored a box of 50 frame bolts for 6.00

My box of E brake cables come along with the new flexible brake hose for the rear axle.

Quick Reply: 1995 Chevy Blazer project