Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1997 blazer sas solid axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Looks awesome, love the '95 2 door body style.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xillzxnickx
what could go wrong if its taped and the nut is on and coder pin is through ?
If it's the wrong angle reamer, it will wear out the tapered hole in the pitman arm because it will allow movement. It may not be evident right away, but it will work itself loose.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i couldnt tell you what reamer you need. i just dropped it off at a machine shop and said i need this to fit in this. you can probably google around and find a answer somewhere

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Starting Member
xillzxnickx is an unknown quantity at this point

so guys I need your experience with your sas and opinions

ever run no swap bar on the streets ? hows it drive ?

im only running 31's and not to high should be that swayie plus I have stiffish shocks I can use the same ones I used on my blue one and got away with no swap bar

my blue blazer never had any swap bars and drove greaton the road and better off the road

Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

To me, if it's being driven on the street it should be as safe as possible. Which means run a sway bar, even if you feel it's ok without one, it'd be better with one. There's a reason vehicles have them from the factory.

I will be running one on my SAS Sonoma.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sway bars to me depend on how loose your front suspension is. ive had older k5 blazers with 6 inch lift kits and have ran them with the sway bar and without. that front suspension is so dang stiff with those aftermarket springs you are not going to notice a difference. a 200lb man can jump up and down on the front bumper and it might give like a 1/2 inch.

but if you run soft coils or light leaf springs yeah you may notice a little bit worse handling on the road.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:36 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

so guys I need your experience with your sas and opinions

ever run no swap bar on the streets ? hows it drive ?

im only running 31's and not to high should be that swayie plus I have stiffish shocks I can use the same ones I used on my blue one and got away with no swap bar

my blue blazer never had any swap bars and drove greaton the road and better off the road
Ive run mine with / without a bar on the street with a couple different front spring setups now... Overall i would definitely recommend running a front bar.

With your setup you should be able to use the factory frame mounts, maybe even the factory bar with modified end links.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Starting Member
xillzxnickx is an unknown quantity at this point

So I've finished it up put the shocks hoops in and shocks which are too big I'm going to have to re design the hoop and or get a bigger one ..... I need a front swap bar it isn't that bad but it would def be perfect with it

Km346 I know you've ran a few different bars I've followed your build which do you think is the best for me I was think a mustang one .... No way I can use factory without welding a new end on which is a possibility

Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Starting Member
toyhauler1283 is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'm going to have to see what gears I have my rpo says I have 3.42 but if I put a 3.73 gear ratio in on that web site it basic matchs my rpm at a few different mph

How are the bfg km2 s I like the look of this tire and considering them for my 97 4x4 4dr any feed back would be great on them

Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

Sway bars just help counteract body roll. With a SFA on leafs I wouldn't worry about it much. The only time you would really "need" one is to keep your suspension geometry from changing too much during a hard turn and messing with the alignment causing the the vehicle to act twitchy and unpredictable, but you're really not gonna get that unless its on a multi-link setup or poorly designed IFS (you know, like the stock Blazer suspension. LOL)

Quick Reply: 1997 blazer sas solid axle swap