Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1998 Blazer 4 door ZR2 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

BTW, have you seen these guys? They have some really heavy duty mods for our Blazers. If money was not an object, I'd think getting one of their front axles would be nice.

https://www.outfitterdesign.com/chev...s-10-kits.html

Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 AM
Starting Member
hurleyii is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
According to the title of the thread, you are turning a 4dr into a ZR2? Very cool.

Could you list the mods you are doing to achieve this? All of this is interesting but in particular is if and how you are going to install the fender flares. I have a set of Bushwacker flares off of a 2dr that I have yet to try to install. It will be the rear doors of course that will pose a challenge. I've even gone so far to download pictures posted at a European wrecking yard that has them for sale (but won't ship to the US) to get ideas on how to modify the rear ones and then install them.
Well im upgrading from the small 7.6 rear axle to the 8.5 zr2 axle . Purchased a zr2 for a donor on the fender flares and possible front frame section. At this time im just usikng fender flares and the Zr2 torsion bars. Considering pulling the rear leaf springs to as they are slightly stronger but i havent confirmed the s10 zr2 extended cab has same size leaf springs. My blazer also came with the heavy duty leafs so im not sure what the actual upgrade would be. Ive purchased a RC 2.5 lift kit to get my 31" tires to fit since they are cheaper then new tires if the 31" wouldnt fit stock. I also had some custome 1/2" body shims made so ill have a total of a 3" lift.
Front wheels i will have to figure out needed wheel space to match the back. Fender flares well theres a couple articles in here on how to do it. Up front well ZR2 fenders . Back well that may be fun.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hurleyii
Well im upgrading from the small 7.6 rear axle to the 8.5 zr2 axle . Purchased a zr2 for a donor on the fender flares and possible front frame section. At this time im just usikng fender flares and the Zr2 torsion bars. Considering pulling the rear leaf springs to as they are slightly stronger but i havent confirmed the s10 zr2 extended cab has same size leaf springs. My blazer also came with the heavy duty leafs so im not sure what the actual upgrade would be. Ive purchased a RC 2.5 lift kit to get my 31" tires to fit since they are cheaper then new tires if the 31" wouldnt fit stock. I also had some custome 1/2" body shims made so ill have a total of a 3" lift.
Front wheels i will have to figure out needed wheel space to match the back. Fender flares well theres a couple articles in here on how to do it. Up front well ZR2 fenders . Back well that may be fun.
Thanks. I'll be following your progress!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:46 PM
Starting Member

This is the end for the night my back is killing me!

Old 12-01-2019, 01:44 AM
Starting Member
Default Tcase done

Well guys tonight I reassembled the tcase. Ruined my favorite shoes with trans fluid. I also made a mistake assembling and forgot that there was a lock ring on the front output shaft so I have to go pick up another seal for it. Was thinking of getting the oil whip seal for the rear output but since I have to buy a front seal now and I’m way over budget I think I’ll throw the tail housing on tomorrow . Also my front locker came in from Eshaw (thanks Eshaw) so I plan on installing the locker tomorrow as well. Can’t finish that as I’m having issues finding the inner pinion bearing for the front differential. Here’s some pics I will trim the excess silicone tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:14 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have the good 6 pinion planetary carrier for the trans case. Is the chain a one and a quarter inch wide one also or did you notice?

Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by eshaw
Looks like you have the good 6 pinion planetary carrier for the trans case. Is the chain a one and a quarter inch wide one also or did you notice?
Thats what i thought to when i started doing research on the rebuild, but when i actually checked its the 3 pinion planetary and the 1" tcase chain. I did replace the chain and all the bearings . For the cost of the revuild kit i didnt see the point in just replacing the front seal that was bad. . Glad i did cause as nasty as the trans fluid was that was leaking from trans im not sure how long that case would of lasted.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 AM
Starting Member

Well I got the tail housing installed tonight and the lunchbox installed. Again thanks Eshaw for the locker. Just a note I was almost had to order shims for the lunchbox

Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Looking good. I would like to have a locker in my front diff but I have the aluminum housing. I don't think it would last long with a locker and 35s.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Looking good. I would like to have a locker in my front diff but I have the aluminum housing. I don't think it would last long with a locker and 35s.
I have aluminum housing to. Hoping my little bit of off roading will be no issue but i am pretty aggressive with my vehicles but we have flat land and i have an extra diff.

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer 4 door ZR2 project