Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

91 4x4 Blazer Build :: The Beast

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
freddythunder is on a distinguished road
Default 91 4x4 Blazer Build :: The Beast

I guess this is more of an introduction. I've never had a vehicle as a project before, but have wanted for years to tackle exactly this. Looking back I think the starting point was from the Seagal movie Marked for Death (
) when I made the decision.

After tossing around a few different trucks, I decided on the Blazer for availability of parts and I feel my previous GMs have held together better than my previous Fords - not saying anything other than my previous experience about any favoritism on brand. I wanted something 70's and carbureted, but decided to get something newer in hopes there's less to repair.

I got a 91 Blazer Scottsdale with 5.7, 3 speed manual 4x4 with all leafs for $2500. I've found that most of the trucks I've seen with that body style either the body is wrecked and the motor's good, or visa versa. This one doesn't seem to have any rust anywhere but where the sun (Phoenix) cooked it on the top of the cab. And it starts right up and runs strong. Doesn't pass emissions (prob needs a cat) but I'm well on my way. I've got a million ideas starting with ripping out all carpet and putting Hurkuliner throughout. Make camping cleanup easy. Thoughts, anyone?

I watched this video (https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...ction-teardown) which terrified me because they lift the carpet and there's nothing but rust, but I was lucky, mine seems to have been an lower AZ truck for its whole life.

I've worked on cars since I was a teenager so I know my way around an engine and basic wiring. I hope that people here can help me along the way with this build. My first question, being new here, now that I've started my build thread, do I ask questions here? Or do I go ask questions in different categories of the forum?

Thanks for the help!! Wish me luck!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member
freddythunder is on a distinguished road

I've gotten quite far on the floor. All the carpet is gone and I've learned that I can scrape up a lot of what's under the carpet with razor blades. I've taken the dash off and am cleaning that up and planning to cover with heat shrink vinyl. Most recently, I replaced the front seats with plastic racing seats in hopes to spray out the cabin when it gets muddy. Tell me what you think:

https://blog.freddythunder.com/repla...-racing-seats/

Old 01-12-2019, 04:19 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Cleans up nicely. I like those red edge covers.