Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

95 Jimmy...rehab!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I thought the previous owner of my Blazer did some questionable things to it, but seems that you have me beat by a lot. I do like this project and I look forward to seeing the progress on it.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road

Hey while I have the attention of some people who know these vehicles, I got a couple of questions for anyone who can answer them.

Firstly, with regard to my ride height. Former Owner dropped Jimmy a bit; I understand it as he was using it for racing...or...something...and I know that dropping (or lifting) is a popular thing in general so I'm not upset about it at all. I do, however, want to return it to spec height. The question is, how? Now I've seen pretty plainly that the rear was dropped using some spacer blocks and extra-long shackle bolts between the axle and the leaf springs; that won't be any problem to fix. But I haven't yet been able to determine how the front was dropped - it's nothing obvious like that. Is it just a matter of shorter shocks/springs, or is there a special knuckle involved, or what?

Second question - I will actually be surprised if anyone can answer this; but it's the Blazer forum so I'll throw it out there anyway. SLT's - like the one in my local junkyard! - came with block heaters. And I noticed the one in the junk yard has one - the plug cord nicely coiled and tied there where it belongs. I know it's silly and nothing I ever planned on installing; but the junkyard guys say they'll only charge like 3 bucks if I want it. So really, why not? But do any of you know whether that block heater requires some special internal block component that I won't realistically ever be able to install? If I can't just unscrew the thing from the junkyard engine and screw it into my own engine by just taking out a simple plug or something, I'm not going to bother.

One thing I forgot to mention in my outline above of the things I've done to the Jimmy this year - over a year of boneyard visits, I've been able to reassemble the equipment kit piece by piece; the jack itself, tire iron, wheel blocks - when I bought the truck it didn't have a single component. Now I have it all, down to the orange plastic mat and cotton gloves - and even managed to nab a "convenience net".

Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I thought the previous owner of my Blazer did some questionable things to it, but seems that you have me beat by a lot.
When I pulled the transmission to rebuild it, I discovered it was held to the engine with three bolts. Three.

I can't find a single solitary repair on this truck that seems to have been done correctly. Not one. I'm actually impressed.

No wait! There's one of those red performance ignition coils installed - you can see it in the above photos; it seems to be installed correctly. That just ruined it.