Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KnightBlazer
Thanks for the feedback on the exhaust.

Really tough when it's been in the family since new like that. . was that way too when I got rid of my first car, but I didn't have a choice.
no problem. Just glad I could help

Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

How much are you debating on the skid plates for? But if I were you I would keep an eye online for a used one and build off of it. It might not be the same but we all know that the same heart is going into it.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by DonL
How much are you debating on the skid plates for? But if I were you I would keep an eye online for a used one and build off of it. It might not be the same but we all know that the same heart is going into it.
yeh it's true. Maybe some day I will buy another blazer. But for right now, I'm not ready. Once I decide what I'm going to do with it, I will let you all know. I would rather see you guys get those skid plates and enjoy them than some random guy.

But my dad used to work in a body shop. He has a few ideas he is willing to try to see if he can get the frame to straighten out. It might pull out ok, it might not. But my blazer is definitely worth trying for. I spent a lot of time on it. Most used ones for that price probably won't be as nice as that one. I have to see where it goes first. After this blazer though, there will always be a spot in my driveway for one

Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Starting Member
Smile Hope

Alright nothing solid yet. we have been working on unbending the frame since friday. a couple wood 4x4's and a bottle jack between the front leaf mount and rear shackle and a torch and hammer has actually helped a significant amount. the kink in the frame from the side is now almost completely unnoticeable the quarter has pulled back in again. the back right door now opens and closes again.

My dad and I got 2 new leaf springs on friday from the local u-pull it for $100. while we were there we saw another green blazer like mine with a very good looking rear bumper extension. we will be coming back for that. It is now sitting on the ground with one replacement used leaf pack on it. that was the bad side and the side that broke.

it is looking like it may not be totaled after all. the gap between the rear right door and the roof is now gone. The trunk pan popped back to being straight again for the most part. the only problem is that the rear hatch does not close. my dad's theory is that once we unbend the left rear frame rail that the tailgate should line up good again and we wont have to adjust it. So we will try doing that. Other than that, the blazer can be driven again. all it took was $140. of course the bumper and the quarter panel will still be damaged but at least it can be driven again

Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Sounds like determination! Good luck And glad she's not a loss. I'm surprised the rear window didn't shatter went the body crimpeled​

Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Are any of the doors or the hatch bent?

Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
Are any of the doors or the hatch bent?
the doors were a little bent but we were able to get them to bend back and adjust the hinges with a wood block. They all open and close fairly decent. The rear glass does not close perfectly but does close. We are still working on it. We got the other frame rail unbent and the gap between the tailgate and the quarter panels look about normal. Took it out for a drive last night. Slight pull to the right but other than that it drives fine. It's not going to be daily driven for a while but everything still works fine

Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 AM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Wow, just incredible that looks like you'll be able to put it back together. Glad it looks like you'll be able to hang on to it for many more years then.

Might be worth while to have a body shop put it on a frame jig once you get it close. Should take care of that last little bit for everything to line back up, and to track straight again on the road.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

After seeing the post accident pictures I thought there would be now way you would be able to fix it. Sounds like I might have been wrong.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
After seeing the post accident pictures I thought there would be now way you would be able to fix it. Sounds like I might have been wrong.
I'll admit i thought i was beating a dying horse too while i was trying to fix it. But eventually a lot of it started coming out as the frame was unbending. For most people they would have wrote it off and junked it. It's only taken around $230 to get it this good. These pictures aren't all current. it actually looks better right now. the weather has been so miserable that i haven't been able to get any decent pics.

The frame is pretty much unbent. the part of it we heated up to unbend it is now bedlinered. The wheel wells split apart in the crash. there was a 1/2" gap which we were able to use c-clamps to narrow. we then welded it and put SEM seam sealer over the crack so it is now water tight. i beat the crap out of the back bumper with a hammer and wood block. so it now even looks pretty decent. also adjusted the tailgate latch so now the tailgate glass closes like new again. all doors open and close pretty well.

I drove my 17 mile each way trip to school today in it and there is no water leaks. a little excessive wind noise but i can put up with that if it doesn't leak.

i went to a local u-pull-it and got a bumper extension off the same one i mentioned previous in this thread. same color and everything $25. that's a steal. also got a chrome arch while there. that was $5. So hopefully now i can squeeze a few more years out of it. Now for pics:

Wedged a 4x4 and a bottle jack in between the leaf shackle and leaf mount in the frame to get it to unbend:

The quarter as it was unbending:

old vs new bumper extensions:

Quarter pretty much at current position:

Current gap at top of door:

The frame unbent pretty much to factory length:

Wheel wells sealed and water tight again":

Pretty much current. like i said still lots to do but it does drive again:

More pics to come as there is still plenty to fix

Attached Thumbnails 95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170519_103450.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170519_103501.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170519_103519.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170519_103531.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170526_125634.jpg  

95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-received_426249034421013.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-received_426249541087629.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-received_426250184420898.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170523_173634.jpg   95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170523_173638.jpg  

95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics-20170528_135354.jpg  

Quick Reply: 95Teal4X4's DD Build, Lots of Pics