Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

96 4 door 4x4 Every Day Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure that I read that right, are you running with no Catalytic converter?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

Yep

Good to hear from you

Old 06-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

That might cause the computer to run your engine too lean and eat you piston rings.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Starting Member

I don't think so. Not just removed. A special spacer called a "Bong" to work with the computer; so as to NOT mess up the mixture.

The "honeymoon" is over though. Sputtering and puttering again an eng. lit is on too ..........

Old 06-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Starting Member
Default Cooling system update

Finally popped the dash open to replace the climate control panel. The old one was sending air to all the wrong places - all the time. I couldn't even feel the A/C set on Max and temp to blue bottom.
Good news first:
The heater core opened up and the "floor" setting worked great.
Bad news next: I cannot tell if the other setting are 100% and the A/C "on" doesn't create "cold." I am thinkin' that may be a fuse or "Monster Fuse" some where because the A/C clutch does not engage.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Starting Member
Default "Dome Override" - still a mystery

While I got it all open and apart; I was hoping to solve the mystery behind "Dome Override." the 95 & 96's were wired differently than the newer ones (or older ones, for that matter). I have a '99 switch panel complete with wires) but I can find no direct correlation in wire colors to the "Courtesy" lights. Or even the "door open" sensor "on/off." If I could just get my hands on that, I could use the unused "fog lamp" switch and close that case. There are a hundred ways to accidentally kill your battery. I think an open door is at #1. I like to camp. We all like to leave the doors open when accessing and using our gear.
I found the mini-fuse OK but that also kills the Rear window latch. None of my crew are gonna insert the fuse just long enough to pop the rear window,

I just gotta find a way to put a switch on "Dome Override."

Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Starting Member
Default A/C Clutch not engaging

Originally Posted by DARK1
Finally popped the dash open to replace the climate control panel. The old one was sending air to all the wrong places - all the time. I couldn't even feel the A/C set on Max and temp to blue bottom.
Good news first:
The heater core opened up and the "floor" setting worked great.
Bad news next: I cannot tell if the other setting are 100% and the A/C "on" doesn't create "cold." I am thinkin' that may be a fuse or "Monster Fuse" some where because the A/C clutch does not engage.
I had a young guy from this area take a peek at the Dark One last week. He has a great reputation for diagnosing and fixing troubled vehicles. He cured my sputtering and puttering in an hour with the cap & rotor from my old Chevy Astro! It runs like a champ but the A/C clutch still is not engaging. We hot wired it from the battery to see if it still worked. Yep. Blows Ice cold!

Now to find out why the controls don't turn it on. He thinks it may be a relay but Google kept showing us diagrams of "other than '96 wiring." The mini-fuses are all OK. I came back here and tried a search for: A/C Clutch not engaging, A/C Clutch not working, A/C not working and only got hits when I said "A/C" . That gave me a million posts that may have A/C somewhere in the thread. Anybody have any advice that maybe useful top the 95/96?

Old 07-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Starting Member

I need to revisit all the places I have been pulling on and playing with my connectors. The wipers are unreliable and even the squirter switch works when it wants to. I think I knocked something loose somewhere. It's more than the A/C clutch now.

July in South FL is no place to drive without A/C

Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member
Metalslug137 is on a distinguished road

Change the a/c dash controls. Mine did the same thing.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Starting Member

Thank you.

I picked one up at the yard about 9 months ago. Just waited until I took the dash apart to change out the stereo. The speed control wheel was shot. I replaced it with the stereo 2 months ago. It could be defective. Looks new. 1996 was a long time ago though. My Alternator has been whining loudly for quite awhile. I'm thinkin' it may be a "low power" thing too.

I have been searching for a DR44G or AD244 forever. I cannot say that I even know what either looks like. Today I just broke down and pulled a really big one from a 99 Tahoe with front & rear A/C at the yard. The Tahoe had two wires on the plug. I hope I got that right.

If so, my "Big 3 will be complete. If it doesn't fix the A/C clutch - back to square one.

Quick Reply: 96 4 door 4x4 Every Day Driver