Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

99 4 door blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

So I worked on the blazer over the weekend, with an average temperature of -9°C, before the windshield... it wasnt rthe best, but better then previous work days lol.bacj together, managed to break the map sensor, so ill be going to get one, and an oil filter wrench. I'm all up for making it easy right now lol... swollen knuckles and bloody fingers. But almost done!

Top of the intake

Passenger

Driver

I flushed out the system about a year/year and a half ago...

Under side of the throttle body

Old 03-10-2019, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Wow, -9'C??? You are one tough Blazer owner. I hate working when it is so cold. I remember when I was working on a car and it was so cold and when I wacked my hand on something I remember thinking "Boy, that is going to hurt when it warms up." LOL

Old 03-11-2019, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran

Got everything back together. When I aligned my distributor, I'm assuming I missed a tooth, or when I cleaned the inside of the cap, it took away the connections. Because I now have no start. Cracks and turns, but wont catch. Also had to steal the MAP sensor from the jimmy, cant afford a 55$(online)-120$(in store) part... so I'll have to run to the yard on friday to see about some parts, might take a look for some distributors caps while I'm there. Now I have to double up on parts if the wife decides to keep the jimmy when it's running.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by DonL
Got everything back together. When I aligned my distributor, I'm assuming I missed a tooth, or when I cleaned the inside of the cap, it took away the connections. Because I now have no start. Cracks and turns, but wont catch. Also had to steal the MAP sensor from the jimmy, cant afford a 55$(online)-120$(in store) part... so I'll have to run to the yard on friday to see about some parts, might take a look for some distributors caps while I'm there. Now I have to double up on parts if the wife decides to keep the jimmy when it's running.
Oh man, I feel bad not giving a hint about the distributor. I was traveling and didn't have a lot of time for emails.

I too had trouble getting the distributor in. When it is off you know it because will be 360/13 degrees or about 28 degrees off. I found it was that the oil pump shaft got rotated. I use my really big flat blade screw driver to rotate back the oil pump drive shaft until I could put the distributor in with the rotor pointing in the right direction.

You are probably 1 tooth off on the distributor gear which is 1 of 13, hence the 360*/13 = 28* number.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran

How big of a screw driver did you use? Big foot long? I think I'll grab mine from work, and see if I can give that a go.

she gets so close, even almost a sputter, but doesnt catch. My needle was at 9 o'clock, and I'm guessing that while I had it out, the distributor spun. I thought I had it lined it back up to the 9 position, but that's why I'm thinking I'm a tooth off. Not sure what the systems would be in the first place. Havent looked it up yet out of laziness and frustration. I went too fast putting it back together, broke a bolt and a sensor. Rushing myself out of excitement. Glad I had the jimmy for the MAP sensor tho, and I bought new intake bolts ahead of time.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by DonL
How big of a screw driver did you use? Big foot long? I think I'll grab mine from work, and see if I can give that a go.

she gets so close, even almost a sputter, but doesnt catch. My needle was at 9 o'clock, and I'm guessing that while I had it out, the distributor spun. I thought I had it lined it back up to the 9 position, but that's why I'm thinking I'm a tooth off. Not sure what the systems would be in the first place. Havent looked it up yet out of laziness and frustration. I went too fast putting it back together, broke a bolt and a sensor. Rushing myself out of excitement. Glad I had the jimmy for the MAP sensor tho, and I bought new intake bolts ahead of time.
Yeah, the screwdriver was at least 12" if not 14" to 16" long. The trick was to turn back the oil pump shaft just enough so that with the rotor also turned back enough to compensate for how much it would rotate due to the pitch of the gears, it would all drop in and engage with the oil pump drive shaft with the rotor pointed in the right direction.

The pitch of the distributor drive gear is such that the rotor will be off by about another tooth when it first engages the gear compared to where it will end up.

So, I would think that if you mark where the distributor is before you remove it and you think it is advanced by one tooth, you can work backwards and turn the oil pump drive shaft back about 30*. You might also note how much the distributor rotates backwards as you take it out so you will know where you will have to start it.

Good Luck!

P.S. I totally get the urge to throw things back together, especially if working outside!

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran

Working on the girl again. I realigned the distributor, to receive worst effects. It back pressured and blew the hose off that goes to the brake booster. I'm ready to give up and send it in. Really sucks because I dont have the cash too.

wondering if anyone else has any tips for the damn distributor...

Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain... one of mine I couldn’t for the life or me figure out how I got it in wrong. I ended up using a socket to turn the crank to find #1 TDC and start over... maybe did this more than once in between throwing things... maybe...

Old 03-16-2019, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
Default Still nothing...

I'm ready to throw a wrench imatinib this thing... any ideas? Killed the battery, wont catch. Now she just turns and backfires....

Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 AM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing that comes to my mind is start moving the distributor in one direction or the other, a couple of teeth at a time, and observe whether or not it's getting better or worse. If it gets better keep going, and if it gets worse go the other way. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes stupid is all we have left.

Quick Reply: 99 4 door blazer