Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

The chronicle of james - entirety

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Just looking at the pics... seems like James deserves a claybar/wax job

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pj5454302
Looks like someone needs a skid plate. And As for the rear sway bar ditch it, Ditched mine and never looked back.

Yep. Haven't found one used (prefer the aluminum) yet so I am thinking on fabbing my own out of either sheet steel (with reinforcements) or diamond-plate alum.

The rear bar is on its way out as soon as I put another leaf in the rear. The truck can't handle a load very well so I'm going to beef it up a little before the sway bar goes bye-bye.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by oktain
Just looking at the pics... seems like James deserves a claybar/wax job
Ummmm. probably. James has a substandard paint job and some assorted issues (bad orange peel, chipping, flaking, and door dings) in various places.

The plan for this soon-to-be-trail-worthy truck to keep getting repairs and upgrades then I'll tackle cosmetics more. I think this weekend I miht clay it and wax for giggles. If I stop by the parts store I might even get a new pad or two for my buffer then wet sand a panel and buff to see what I get out of it. The plastic body panels will hopefully get yanked off this fall, I'll weld the holes shut and paint the lower part of the truck to match. Got to fix the hinges on the driver's door first. No....it's not just the pins and bushings...they're bent....!!!

OLD SKOOL LUVR - thanks.... I don't have too much more to do before we head to an off-road park to try the bunny trails.

Torsen locker will go in this weekend I think. Need to pick up some new brake pads before I get started. Do it all while I've got it torn down....

Oh....lost or someone stole a center cap off a wheel. So...I took them all off. Maybe I'll replace it....maybe not.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dougg01
Yep. Haven't found one used (prefer the aluminum) yet so I am thinking on fabbing my own out of either sheet steel (with reinforcements) or diamond-plate alum.

The rear bar is on its way out as soon as I put another leaf in the rear. The truck can't handle a load very well so I'm going to beef it up a little before the sway bar goes bye-bye.
My jimmy just had the flimsy plastic skid plate form the factory but i found an aluminum one on ebay for $70. Just have to keep an eye out for them.

Also for the truck not handling load well, try getting some air shocks from auto zone. They are $75 come with all the air lines and fittings. Thats what I have for a lift on my truck and when I tow a trailer it dosent squat at all.

link
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...73_116379_6636_

Last edited by pj5454302; 07-23-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: link
Old 07-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Dude if you can go to some local junkyards i would look there first, i found all 3 plates at one for a total of $35 bucks. Its not like with other parts, you are just looking for a piece of metal so it can be defective (maybe beat up) so the junkyards are ok.... This is the front one mounted. I have the other two but am missing some bolts them up properly

https://blazerforum.com/forum/album....ictureid=10189

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunatly all the junkyards around my house only had the plastic ones. So I turned to Ebay.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeRo
Dude if you can go to some local junkyards i would look there first, i found all 3 plates at one for a total of $35 bucks. Its not like with other parts, you are just looking for a piece of metal so it can be defective (maybe beat up) so the junkyards are ok.... This is the front one mounted. I have the other two but am missing some bolts them up properly
you're probably refering to the 2 mounts on the front diff's lower mount bolts.

you can get those brackets @ GM, they're cheap.

figures, i just threw out the sheet i had with the blow up of the front end & part #'s.

guess i've been lucky that all of my 4WD S-series trucks have come with the factory 3 piece aluminum skid plate package.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
you're probably refering to the 2 mounts on the front diff's lower mount bolts.

you can get those brackets @ GM, they're cheap.

figures, i just threw out the sheet i had with the blow up of the front end & part #'s.

guess i've been lucky that all of my 4WD S-series trucks have come with the factory 3 piece aluminum skid plate package.

no i have the brackets i made sure to get them, but i pulled the 3 plates off of three separate trucks and only have like a 3rd of the bolts because most were missing..... can i get a bolt set or the bolts from GM to finally mount these things?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeRo
no i have the brackets i made sure to get them, but i pulled the 3 plates off of three separate trucks and only have like a 3rd of the bolts because most were missing..... can i get a bolt set or the bolts from GM to finally mount these things?

bah, just use some grade 8 bolts.

i actually re-tapped all the bolt holes for my front 2 plate a few months ago.

like you said, i had 4 of the 6 missing(!) from the front skid plate. i just opened up the old holes to accept 1/2-20 bolts, and 7/16-20 for the oil pan one.

you don't have to use a fine thread bolt, but think about the amount of threads that will engauge the frame of the truck (it's really not that thick). fine threads give you a little more engaugement. plus, fine threads don't "back off" as easily as a coarse thread.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Starting Member

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/DSC01213.jpg

The recovery anchors on the cheap. Tractor supply....

The bolts will be replaced with 1/2" stuff soon.

Most folks think it looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: The chronicle of james - entirety