Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Expedition rig questions

Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
2000jimmy4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Expedition rig questions

Hi all, I am looking to build a mild expedition rig with my 2000 Jimmy. The ultimate goal is to drive this thing to South America in a couple of years. Reliability is my number one goal here, so anything I do must be considered at least as reliable as stock, or I will just leave it stock.

I wanted to know if there were any reliability issues with the newer Rough Country 2.5" lift? I have seen on here where several people have done installs and there are some great step by step installation guides, but I have not seen any real long term reviews from the guys who actually have them installed. If you have this kit, would you consider it to be more or less reliable than stock?

One reason I am considering this is because my Jimmy has about 165,000 and it is due for some front end work and some new shocks. I am not looking to go off roading really, but some of the roads in SA do require some extra clearance.

I am also thinking about a winch and maybe a rear locker.

I don't know, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Can't tell you anything about the lift, but as far as "expedition" travel goes have you checked out expedition portal? They have a great forum, and many people do exactly what you are planning.

Not much blazer specific tech on there, but plenty to give you ideas.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member

Hey, I have checked out expedition portal. It one of the sites I frequent at least a couple of times a week.

They are all into using Toyotas and Land Rovers. I am not looking to buy anything, my Jimmy is paid off. Plus, people drive stock vehicles all day long in the countries where I will be travelling.

There was a German Blazer build that was pretty interesting. I was also thinking about one of those new LED light bars. I have not seen anyone on here who has one yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

I had the RC 2.5" on my bravada w/ a 2in bodylift. It all rode nice I went thru cv shafts alot & upper Bjs a couple of times before I traded it. Id recommend a SAS if your going that far. My personal opinion is IFS is not a good choice for a long distance reliability.. depending on what & where your going thru. Thats why I traded for the waggy to use as an BOV. Just my .02 PM if you have any questions on any thing or the lift.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member

So, it has been a few months and a few thousand miles. My wife and I have been back forth about buying a new vehicle but we have ultimately decided that the best use of our money would be to keep the Jimmy since it is paid off.

The Jimmy now has almost 174,000 miles on it and I am due for some tires and ball joints. I hope to get these put on within the next few weeks.

I have decided against a lift of any sort. This is mainly due to reliability. As I said before, I am not looking to off road. If the road looks hairy, I will turn around and find a new route.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Haha if I see a road I turn around and go the other way

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member

Well just an update. We decided to just fly to Paraguay. I sold the Jimmy before we left and I bought a Ford Ranger when we got here. I know, I know. I could not believe I bought a Ford either. It is a 4 door double cab with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. 1999 model and it is an automatic. You can follow our adventures at Mission403.org and check out our videos if you search youtube for Mission 403. I hate to leave this site because I received tons of information about my Jimmy over the years. This is a good community. There is so much information that I very rarely could not find what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone.