Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Giving Jimmy Some Love

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

If the scanner is capable of viewing live data, yes, you can see it while you're driving. Have you checked your vacuum lines? The rough idle might be a vacuum leak. I'm assuming you've been all through the ignition system? Ignition issues will show up at idle, also

Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Yes, the BAFX is live data. I had idle issues on my 98. Ended up getting one (WiFi version for Apple Iphone) Found with the help from the folks here on forum my fuel injector was leaking by taking measurements of the fuel trims. Ran fine at mid power and highway just bad at idle. This tool never really a waste because useful on so many vehicles. It’s like 20-30$ for tool and say 5-15$ for app.

I want to mention like you been thru my issues with my 98. Some of the parts and labor I thru at it ended up being a waste but happens when you buy used and do not know what has or has not already been done. The ODB2 port scanner tool was not one of the regrets. Apparently the android side of things for it uses bluetooth and is better overall than the Wifi version which apple products support. (Seems apple devices wont communicate via Bluetooth due to limitations) but I have and use the apple WiFi version with a 5$ app called ODB Fusion.

App easy to use, connects in a snap. Works in my case on both my IPad and Iphone. Prefer my Pad for the screen size. Don’t buy the hype on the bluedriver scan tool on amazon- 99$ thing. A lot of people had that one damage their cars. I digress, you seem to have an idle issue and this tool is your best friend. Live data, will graph performance up to 4 items at same time, fully configurable, easy to use and best part you can do things like take a screen shot and post to forum for help figuring it out with several members even telling you what to test and how to configure for that test.

WiFi version recommended for Apple devices. Note upper right bluetooth one for android products.

Last edited by Trukntigger; 05-06-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-07-2019, 06:25 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

+1 on the BAFX. Running one in my rig with the Torque app currently. All together, under 35 bucks.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:48 PM
TStoddard is on a distinguished road

Well, it has been a minute so figured I'd post an update. Got the new warrantee Walker cat from Amazon installed. This thing is running like a CHAMP!! Still have the rough low idle but I'll figure that out pretty soon. My money is on the old fuel injectors, but I'll run pressure tests first. Also got my BAFX OBDII delivered today. Hooked it up and connected but need to figure out the app. I went ahead and bit the $5 bullet on the Torque Pro app. I figured I'd be worth that just to get rid of the annoying ads over the Lite version. Anyone else have this set up? What's your favorite feature?

Hope you guys have a GREAT weekend. Keep on keeping Gen 2s alive!!

LVMYGN2

Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Father's Day was GORGEOUS in KC! Hope all you Dad's out there had a GREAT one!! I took some time in the morning to detail my little project. It came out nicely!

LOVE my little Jimmy!!

Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Man, the Jimmy is looking clean! I need to detail mine now.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Question...need some help here. The Jimmy runs good when weather is cool, but seems to have a miss when it's really hot. My first thought was coil too, but got a warranty replacement for that. Has only thrown a code 1 time P0300, but never does since. I'm thinking EGR or MAF. Pulled both & cleaned and reinstalled. Cap & rotor is only about 3 months old, new distributor about 2 years ago. Scratching my head on this one. Any thoughts guys?? Also.... new plugs last month & air filter is new. It literally acts like it's choking out, but should have plenty air.

Last edited by TStoddard; 07-06-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Well, I went through the ignition again and found a bad plug wire. Replaced the set and so far I no longer have the rough idle. FINALLY!! HOWEVER, now getting low voltage error for the air. I'll clean the contacts & see what happens. Finally got a good polish on it too. Next is wheel wells and frame. Got everything I need, except the time right now..... Also contemplating headers, any thoughts?

Old 01-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Well, got fuel pump replaced after getting towed home and I have to say, that kinda sucked. My advice is go straight for the Delphi, dont waste your time with AC Delco. Long story there...... Started having heat issues which I thought was related to the new radiator. Turns out it was not, and not a thermostat issue either. Back flushed the heater core and was amazed by what looked like gasket material that came out. Still scratching my head on that one for obvious reasons. Anyway, Jimmy's got heat and fuel again. Running like a champ!
Still need to get on those frame rails though.....

Last edited by TStoddard; 01-05-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Would love to find a Chexy Extreme hood to put on it. But..... maybe someday. (Yes, that's a Blazer hood. Whole different story!) It's kind of cool to say I have one of the nicest ones around. For years I've been driving the Wife's hand-me-downs because I prefer her to have the newer vehicle. But Jimmy, hes not going anywhere any time soon. LOVE this little truck.

Last edited by TStoddard; 01-05-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Giving Jimmy Some Love