Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Giving Jimmy Some Love

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 05:52 PM
TStoddard is on a distinguished road

I've got a lead on a posi rear end from a Bravada for $200. Worth it or no?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Good shape? Is it negotiable?

Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 AM
BritishColumbiafishing is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
Like these... Anthricite gray plasti-dip in the works...
check out cooper stt pro not that expensive and awsome tire

Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TStoddard
Yes, exactly like those! Those come off a 4x4 and for sale by chance?

edit: aahhh, never mind. I just saw the "in the works" part. I'd do mine in a gloss black though. I'd sure like to get my hands on a set of those...... I'm happy with the look of the new 30s and rear spacers. Wanna keep the treads just tucked under the fender lips. Adding some black splash guards when they get here to help keep it clean.

You'll have to post a pic when you get them back on so we can see!
Sorry, I shouldn’t have teased you like that! I will post a picture whenever I finally get them done

Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Well, started under coating the fender wells & got 1 done, then started leaking coolant out by #6. We all know what that means.... yep, time for intake gaskets again.Got to checking and all 4 intake bolts on bank 2 were loose (after 100k miles)... 12 ft lbs seems very light to me. I talked to the Dad of my Daughters friend who is a mechanic. He said "you dont actually toque those to spec, do you?" So this time I did torque + 90 degrees. I'll keep you posted on that one. Then came the infamous P0420 code..... Geeeez. Cat is only 3 yrs old so I replaced both 02 sensors. Does good for 2 days, then throws the code again. Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member
WizardMaster is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TStoddard

OK, where to begin. I've had the 98 Jimmy about 5 years and drove it as purchased. It was clean as could be and only had 83k on it without a scratch inside or out. I was a nice little truck, but it wasn't really mine. Installing new Cat here....
I like that concept of using jack stand but I decided to spend a few extra dollars and bypass that. I have plenty of room for transmission and transfer case removal now... The only draw back is the big boys come off to get the SUV into the garage..Big feet, tiny feet..

Old 05-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Default P0420 Update

After some research last night I discovered I got my Walker cat from Amazon in Feb 2017 with a 5 yr warranty.. Contacted Amazon last and the offer of a $20 Amazon Gift Card and a 10% discount on a new one doesn't nearly cover the $156 price tag. After speaking with a Supervisor, Amazon is going to warranty it out. Easy swap on these so nothing to lose except buying a couple new gaskets.
This morning, a buddy of mine sent me this video link:

Watch "chevy blazer p0420" on YouTube

VERY interestimg.....I think I only have about 10k miles on my plugs but I'll pull them and take a look. Will definately go with AC Delco this time since I've learned these things can be picky. I'll post an update when I get time to take a look.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM

Well, I pulled the plugs and all I can say is Autolights aren't worth packing home regardless of the price. Replaced with AC Delco Rapid Fire Platinums. Was going to replace my rag joint while I had the steering shaft apart, but (once again) got the wrong part from O"Rielly. That's why I quit going there but Auto Zone didnt have it in stock. All I could do was put the shaft back in like it was. Was so pissed when I returned it I forgot to get the P0420 code cleared.Installing new plugs did give me a chance to go ahead and put in the new inner fender skirts though. BTW - Has anyone REALLY ever figured out the rough idle on these? A .010 spacer on the idle set screw bumps it up just enough to make it quit. Can't seem to adjust the screw though......

Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Just get one of those BAFX Bluetooth (android) or Wifi (Apple) ODB2 port things for smart phone from Amazon and clear your own codes. Great diagnostic tool and worth the money assuming have a smart phone. Not sure what year blazer your talking but 2nd gen does not have a idle adjustment. That screw at throttle hammer is to prevent the air intake plate from completely closing and getting stuck and is to never be adjusted...and if you do raise idle that way your TPS (throttle position sensor) reads as tho your pressing the gas pedal and will coast for ever because idle will never drop down properly.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 AM

That's kinda what I figured. I know everything on these (mines a 98) is computer controlled. Just wish I could pinpoint. I've put about 2k in parts on this over the past 6-8 months to bring it up to par not including the new 30s. Doing all the work myself has saved TONS I know. So can that scanner tool read what's going on while it's being driven? The idle issue NEVER throws it's own code. If at.a stop light and I kick it up into neutral the RPMs go up slightly and it smooths out. The rough Idle only happens when it's in gear. I'm not a pro mechanic, but have done just about everything over the years on my cars and trucks. I just don't get it......
I've also.cleaned the MAF, EGR, PCV and throttle body. Truly at a loss here. I've searched the forums many times but haven't found a fix that works yet.

Last edited by TStoddard; 05-06-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Giving Jimmy Some Love